Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple problems - trojan, spyware, system lockout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoulDesign

SoulDesign

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Greetings and salutations!
I am having multiple problems and after looking around the forum I am unsure where to post or if it is even relevant because of the rule "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures."

I will try to outline my issues as best as possible without access to my system. System is a DELL laptop d630 running win xp pro.

1. I am in college and was using an online classroom that requires disabling my firewall to log into the virtual class. I also attend a class on campus in a mac lab. I picked up a backdoor trojan (what norton found but maybe more) from the mac lab off my compact flash from my digital camera. The compact flash was new and had only been in my camera before and another student got a virus as well from the lab. Whatever I picked up from the lab renamed some of my image files or mimiced them (img0205.exe, img0206.exe, etc...)

2. I disabled system restore, downloaded the latest virus definitions, and used msconfig to boot into safemode. Scanned my system and norton found the backdoor trojan and antivirus2009. The program quarentined them and I was able to delete them.

3. When I booted into safemode I reset both the password for the admin account (used from sys setup) and the one I use. I wanted to change the login to require ctl+alt+del so I went into the control panel, user accounts, and unchecked the boxes for normal windows logon.

4. I am now locked out of my system and stuck in safemode as I had set it to reboot there via msconfig. None of the passwords that I reset work, or my old ones, nor a blank.
I didn't do a password reset disk as I just learned that here.

So I am guessing a full system install and losing all my unsaved data is my only option at this point.

I have used bleeping computer in the past as a forum lurker and found various solutions to my problems. So even if you can't help with this issue, THANK YOU very much for all the help I have gotten in the past.
Sincerely,
:thumbsup: <--Bonehead Computer user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

You need to modify the boot.ini file to edit the "/safeboot:minimal entry

Discussed in these 2 different threads
http://www.winportal.com/chat_sin.asp?ObjectID=14036 Last post
http://forums.windrivers.com/archive/index.php/t-64641.html Posts by Merlinsghost
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SoulDesign

SoulDesign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Hello Mark,
Thanks for the info in the links. I was able to use the NTFS demo from (http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm) to edit the boot.ini file. I also used the bootdisk here (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html) that you gave me from your links. It worked great to get me around the lockout problem.
I scanned the system with Norton and it's clean now and this weekend I will double check it with another anti-virus program just to be sure.
Thanks again for all your help!
Robert

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

Glad it worked
If you still think you have malware problems post in our Am I Infected forum and we'll take care of it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users