Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get rid of pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 popuphater

popuphater

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hi everyone !!!!!!!

I need help trying to reduce or eliminate pop up ads.

I am running XP Pro and have all updates.

I have set the IE pop up blocker to a high level and have checked the list to insure it only includes those i want.

I run Norton Anti virus and those definitions are also up to date and I have run a scan - it came up with 2 that it can't get rid off and the directions are so complicated as to scare me.

I have to Anti Ad ware programs - Ad Ware SE personal (LavaSoft) - the latest edition with all updates and Microsoft's AntispyWare, again with all updates.

If I can get the addy of the ad site I add it to my restricted sites list (I have almost 100 on it currently) but it doesn't seem to be helping and the pop ups are making me insane!!!!!

I am not a computer expert and I just dont know what else to try. Any advise would be appreciated. My 5 year old child uses my computer to do school work - he is a special needs kids and connects to certian sites to work on speech. He can work thru the site himself but with all these pop ups (some totally NOT siutable for a child to see) I have to sit right with him. I have tried blocking all sites but the ones he needs to go to but still the pop ups come.

Thanks for reading this :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Here's are some first step actions to take. If they cannot identify and clean your system then you would probably be best to look at posting a HijackThis log but we'll get to that later.

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:17 AM

Please follow Rimmer's good advice, not just to reduce pop-up's, but to make your system more secure. But then consider using Mozilla Firefox as your browser....I switched about six months ago and have not seen a pop-up since. You'll find a BC Tutorial on switching to Firefox here.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 popuphater

popuphater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hi again !!!!!!!

Had sooooooo much fun loading all those programs on dail up!!!!!!

lol

Ok, here's a run down of what happened.

First of all the "msconfig" statement was very helpful!!!!!!! I seem to lack the talent to hit the F8 button in the nanosecond allowed. (I even had my kiddo try it - young reflexes and all)

I already had Ad-Aware (the latest version and all the up to date definitions), additionally I have Norton installed and it too is up to date. I had run both of them prior to posting my question.

I downloaded Spy Bot, that scan came up with 12 items the other two had missed, including registries. It was able to successfully delete all the errors it found.

The other programs are not really search and destroy BUT were a lot of fun. Yes, I said fun. I learned tons about my computer and how these programs and ad ware are getting installed.

I have been on line for 30 minutes and thus far no pop ups. This is a new record !!!!!!!! (cheering please!!)

Twinsdad - I checked with my son's schools technical group and was told I had to use IE but I did look at the tutorial information and sent a link to them. They said they would investigate - it seems the pop up problem is common among participants of the school.

Which brings me to my next point: If you know a particular web site is problematic tell the hosts. In my case, we think the problem may be something called "thiefware", that is attached to thier site.

Thank you all for your help. I think my problem may be solved. I will post one last message after I have surfed a while to confirm resolution.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

Our fingers are crossed. :thumbsup:

was told I had to use IE

That may be true but it's not likely. Try using Firefox anyway, there may be some issues with Active X components or Java but Firefox will probably prompt you for a plugin and install it automatically. There is often a problem with things like banking software in Firefox because the software actually uses popups as part of the security regime. All you need to do is specify that site is allowed to use popups and the problem is fixed. But if you read the banks help site it will say "Firefox not supported" or "Internet Explorer is required" - it's just the easy option for them.

BTW - the trick with the F8 button is you keep on tapping it, repeatedly, almost as soon as you switch the PC on.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 June 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users