Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't shutdown/startup properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ladychadwick

ladychadwick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:28 PM

Often when I shut down my computer, it acts like it will shutdown, but I get a screen full of orange vertical lines. This morning I had to shut it off (by unpluggin it) and starting it 3 times. It got to the page where the wallpaper was starting and it just froze. I have also been getting the blue screen "press any key or enter to continue. Pressing F Alt Del will reboot...etc etc" I get this screen A LOT and often pressing enter or any key does nothing. I have scanned for viruses and ad/spyware but nothing turns up. Is it a Windows ME bug?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

Hello and Welcome Posted Image

Orange lines hmm that sounds a bit like a heat problem or a driver conflict to me
when was the last time you cleaned out your case ? or cleaned up junk files or defraged

Check your device manager see if there are any problems there

Do you know what the error said on the BSOD ?

Have you ever removed any programs by deleting files rather than using the add/remove or the program uninstall[IMG]

Edited by The Bear, 30 August 2004 - 04:57 PM.

Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#3 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

I defragged last week. I usually defrag once a month, I don't have tons of programs on it, other than the cable internet ISP, Winamp, a firewall, popup killer, & ad/spyware blocker Spysweeper. ALso last time I did defrag, it found errors on the disc that I told the computer to repair.
I usually just delete files or programs with the install/uninstall feature, but sometimes I find the files and get them too if there are remnants still on the computer.
I haven't jotted down those numbers when it blue screens, next time I will so I can research them.
I did notice that Winamp freezes/buffers too much when I listen to a station online. WinMX DRAGGED when I used to download music. The mouse pointer kept stalling on the screen. Perhaps the processor isn't fast enough, I don't know what type it it, whatever was new in 1999-2000!
This thing where it won't shut down is a new one. Either the screen goes black and I have a useless cursor, or I get the vertical orange lines on the screen. A few times lately at startup, it freezes and I must unplug, and plug in, then of course it wants to scan the disc due to improper shutdown.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

Next time it happens write down the info from the blue screen so we can help you research it

#5 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:38 PM

Well it has not acted up for some time. I downloaded trial version of a tune-up utility program, told it to fix errors, remove junk files, etc etc etc and it's behaving pretty well. The darn internet station I like always has to buffer itself, but at least I get no more blue screens. If I do, I'll write down the numbers and such and post it. :thumbsup:
thanks, heidi

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:50 PM

When was the last time that you opened up your case and cleaned it out? If this is a heat related problem, it could be caused by many reasons, but a majority is from build-up of dust inside the case. If this error just started occurring withen the last few months, and you have not installed any new hardware lately, then dust could be the culprit.

Another thing it could be, albiet unlikely, is your video card. Have you installed or updated the drivers lately? If you did, did these errors started to happen shortly after it?

You mentioned that you have cable internet. I too, have that type of broadband, and listen to streaming radio stations. With the exception of the initial load, I do not have a problem with the slow buffering times. Does this happen between each song, or just on occassions? There are many factors invovled in doing streaming, ranging from the radio station's ISP to the user's computer having a bottleneck somewhere.

Initially they seem unrelated, but when the error is fixed, it should improve your other problem as well.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

I haven't dusted in awhile, now that you mention it. It has been opened, as I added as much memory as my card will allow so I'll try it.

Video card has never ben removed or changed. It's a Trident Blade 3D/MVP4. Came with the Gateway when I bought it in late 2000.

I would like to upgrade that processor. It's an AMD K6-2, 500MhZ, whatever that all means! The board is, if I read this right, a Samsung MP4M-23AGM.

Oh, the internet connection. It's a cable, through my cable TV company, Comcast. Seems that every song has moments of buffering. It runs through WimAmp, which I'm not wild about. I prefer old Windows Media Player. The website it www.superoldies.com. I usually have no problems with other radio stations, maybe it's them for once and not me!

#8 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:18 PM

I moved to Genera Hardware, since I'm now venturing into hardware (CPU) questions.
Sorry for babbling on about CPUs and such in software. Last night I got the orange lines again on shutdown, I'm going to dust the sucker. Imagine we 21st century people pay 5 bucks for a can of air!

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:49 PM

Last night I got the orange lines again on shutdown

Out of curiousity, does it look similar to this link-here, but only the right side portion? Also, when it happens, does the power switch (in front of the monitor) light, turn from green to orange? Do you sometimes get the blue screen and sometimes you get the orange lines?

I am still not sure if it is a video card or monitor problem. It could be other things, but the symptoms are pointing to one of these, but only if heat is not a problem. Did you happen to have your computer somewhere else, and now that it is where it is presently, you started having problems? Maybe with a little more research time, on my end, I can find the answer.

Imagine we 21st century people pay 5 bucks for a can of air!

Well, I guess that price has come down quite a bit from when they first came out. Can you imagine paying over $15 for the same can, less then 10 years ago?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:31 PM

Yes it does look a lot like those on the right, orange vertical lines on black. Sometimes it does this, sometimes the blue screen 'o' death, and once in a while it enters Bizzaro World and shuts down/restarts properly.
I haven't moved it since I've been living here, the a/c is usually on so it's not really hot. Started doing it roughly 3 weeks ago or so.
Gateway emailed, they don't recommend upgrading CPU. They advised I upgrade memory, and warned me about voiding the warranty. I emailed him back and said the warranty expired moons ago, and I have already gone to a 256 card, all the board will allow. I asked again, what general specs are on this K6-2 processor, I have heard about socket 7, socket 5, and things I'm not familiar with, and what should I look for if buying a processor for this board. I know from upgrading the memory you must look for certain specs/slots to match the board. They again said they don't recommend it.
Either they want me to buy a new computer, or they're afraid to admit this board is so weird it won't work.
Anywho, yes, it does look a lot like the link you gave me. You think the video card should be replaced then?
thanks for all the help!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users