Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Splash screen forever

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

I can't seem to get my system to boot past the splash screen(XP Pro). I have tried restarting after it hangs forever and it will do the same unless I F8 and use' last working configuration' option, but if restarted I need to use same method. I tried doing a disk check but it would not start in safe mode(I found that's the way suggested here) so ran in regular mode but no change. Then I read here the safe boot method using msconf and voila! it went to safe mode and then started the disk error check process. Soooo here's the thing, it's been at it now for almost 3 days.Seagate 350G drive @ 74% of stage 4 of 5. Should I just wait? Do I have a choice? Is this normal? Thank you for any direction/advice I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

No...it's not normal.

I suggest running a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive (long test).

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

I followed your lead and downloaded what
Seagate said was an upgrade my hard drive needed to be booted up from. After restarting it seems to have been given the medicine it yearned for with a smooth and quick boot into normal mode. Thank you, I feel sometimes I am vague or expecting someone to just read my mind as to what is occurring but nevertheless you did just that. Peace.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

LOL, that wasn't what I intended...but congrats on resolving your situation. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users