Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broke something cleaning hijackers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benresch

benresch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Please help. My computer was/is riddled with STDs. I ran spybot, ad-aware, ewido, and hijack this in safe mode, then restarted. Now I have no start menu, desktop icons, or explorer (among other things, I'm sure). Luckily, I can start most programs through Windows task manager, including Firefox. System restore didn't work. I don't know how to fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

With that many problems id say just do a clean format. start new.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

Most likely you had either a bube infection, or a VX2 variant. They both infect explorer.exe. One of your scans recognized it as malicious, and deleted or renamed it for you. If you can, get a fresh copy of explorer.exe and place copies in your system32 directory, and system32]\dllcache folders. See if that gets you back on track at all.

Explorer controls the icons and taskbars and such, so maybe if you get it back on there, you won't have to reformat.

#4 benresch

benresch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

I haven't been able to find a fresh copy of explorer.exe. How might I do this? And if I am able to find a copy, how can I copy it into the system32 folders without windows explorer? And just in case, how can I format?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

If you can get a clean copy of exporer.exe, then you will have to use a command line prompt to move it into the proper directory. If you need to reinstall, then you are going to need operating system disks. Do you have those?

#6 completealias

completealias

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:12 PM

If you have your xp disk I would try doing a repair installion first this way you will not lose any files, settings

Boot with xp disk proceed as if you were going to do a clean installl not the recovery console and then press r to repair the exsiting installion

#7 benresch

benresch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

Problem fixed. Repair install did nothing. I had to reinstall windows completely.
Thank you, everyone.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

That sucks. Make sure, then, that you get some protection on your system in order that you don't have to go through that again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users