Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Splash Screen Loads, Then Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seancalvn

seancalvn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Earlier today my computer froze and when I restarted it, it loaded the XP splash screen but then went black. The computer was still running, but the screen was black and I couldn't do anything. I tried to reboot in safe mode, but it hangs on the "loading-processes screen". I've also tried repairing the region with my windows XP disc, but it didn't resolve anything. I've tried two different video cards and different RAM configurations, but the same problem persists every time. I have also done nothing new to my software, or changed any hardware arrangements in my computer over the past few months. Any suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Is the cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the black screen?

Exactly what steps did you take...in your repair efforts? Telling us may save a lot of "I've already tried that" comments.

Louis

#3 seancalvn

seancalvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

There is no flashing cursor. Well I loaded XP Recovery Console and ran chkdsk /r, I also tried to go into my windows installation and repair it but it only gives me the option to install over the partition or delete it. I also tried VGA mode, but it does not work either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Have you tried a different power supply (temporarily)?

Louis

#5 seancalvn

seancalvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

No, but since everything is running smoothly even when the black-screen takes place I doubt that is the problem. Plus, I have used this setup for over a year with no problems, and my power supply has a significant surplus voltage. I'm thinking the problem is with my hard drive...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users