Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive being recognized twice

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mark18

mark18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi, I'm having an issue with my dvd burner. It is a memorex dvd 16+/-DL4RWID2 and I'm using XP SP2 on the computer. When there is no disk in the burner or a disk with info on it, it is recognized correctly as memorex dvd 16+/-DL4RWID2. But when I put a blank disc into the burner, the burner changes to a generic CD-ROM in Windows Explorer, and I can't burn to a disc.

I've tried different media and does the same thing.

I've also uninstalled the drive in Windows then restarted the computer. Windows comes up with new hardware found and lists the correct name (memorex dvd 16+/-DL4RWID2), then says again, "New Hardware Found" and says it found CD-ROM. I didn't uninstall my other drive (cd-burner), so it couldn't have been talking about that one.

It has a flash update instead of a driver update (not sure if there is a difference), which I updated. I couldn't find an original driver disk (not sure if it had one). And I couldn't find an actual driver update online. The driver is listed as a Microsoft CD-ROM driver.

One more thing, when a blank dvd is in the drive and the drive changes to CD-ROM in windows explorer, if I click on it, it says drive inaccessible.

Does anyone know what is causing this and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks for the help.

Edited by mark18, 28 May 2009 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users