Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Bad Image" - Corrupted file? Malware? Help!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie13

Stephanie13

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

My computer just developed a worrying problem this afternoon. I don't understand why--I had not installed any new programs or visited any unusual sites. The only recent change is that I've brought my computer with me on vacation with family and am running it in a different physical location. This problem started this afternoon when I moved the computer from downstairs to upstairs and brought Windows out of sleep mode to check my e-mail.

What is happening is that any time I try to start running a program, or when I reboot my computer and it automatically starts booting up programs, a "Bad Image" error appears that reads "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\mswnlwkl.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Programs will still run even though this error will show up repeatedly and I will have to click "OK" to exit out of the error box, sometimes repeatedly during the entire time a program is running. The only program that will not run at all is Firefox.

The research I've done using Google seems to suggest this is a Malware / Vundo / rootkit, rather than an actual problem with the DLL file, though I am not sure. I have a Windows installation disc, but not with me (if I need it, I'll have to wait a week and a half until I'm back at my apartment where the disk is).

I've run Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware both in regular and Safe mode. The first time I did a full scan, it picked up and removed 4 items, but none seem to be what is causing it, as this didn't fix the problem. Running MBAB in safe mode didn't detect anything else. I also uninstalled Firefox and cleaned my registry using CCleaner.exe, then re-installed Firefox, which also didn't fix the problem. I am running Windows XP, up to date with Windows updates as far as I know.

At this point, I have no idea what else to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

The filename you posted...Google shows no references at all.

I suggest you check your spelling.

Louis

#3 Stephanie13

Stephanie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

I know--one of the first things I did was Google the file name and didn't find anything either--but it exists on my computer as a DLL file in the Windows\System32 folder and I'm afraid to delete it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

Well...it's generally assumed that malware is present...when a strange file appears on a system and that filename has no referent (using Google).

If such happened to me, I would assume that my system was infected...until proven otherwise.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

Start a new topic in the Am I Infected forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Update Mbam and run a FULL scan and copy/paste the log in your first post
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users