Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU leak?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 helba187

helba187

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

Ok, I built this computer last June, 2008. It seemed to work perfectly fine until after 6-8 weeks, it started to bog down alot. It would take 5-10 minutes just to boot up, video files would become slowed down and create an occasional screeching sound, PC games would become almost unplayable, and when checking my CPU performance under the task manager, a simple low res avi file or even a youtube file will cause it to spike up to 20-40% every 20sec or so. When I have nothing running it is usually only around 0-4%.

Well I did find a temporary fix for it. Reinstall my OS. It would then run perfectly fine for another 6 weeks or so, then bam, it starts going sluggish again. I've been doing this every few months but it just seems to get worse. This last time I reinstalled my OS, it only lasted about 4 weeks before it started hittin the brakes again. Is my CPU bad? I've installed Windows on several different hard drives and even tried upgrading to windows xp 64bit and adding 2 more 1gb RAM.

Here are my specs

Asus P5N-D LGA 775 (nforce 750i SLI)
2x EVGA Geforce GT 512mb (SLI)
4x 1gb G.Skill (DDR2)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
OCZ 700w PS

and not as important but I'll list em anyways

3x IDE harddrives (Western Dig)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
PCI IDE controller (since all of my drives are a little older, I needed an extra IDE slot)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

Not being impertinent, but...are you doing any maintenance at all on this system? Do you run chkdsk /r and defrag?

Is the O/S properly updated?

Do you scan routinely for malware?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users