Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scans appear clean, internet buggy and slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Medicine

Bad Medicine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

A few days ago my laptop started acting very sluggish while browsing the web. Scan with Spybot S&D revealed a few infections, most of them variations of Vundo and Virtumonde. I cleaned the infection, and rescanned with Spybot, Avast!, Symantec, VundoFix (Ad-Aware keeps saying 'could not connect to service', and Malwarebytes always freezes and can't be shut off). All subsequent scans have been clean. I bought a router to hide behind, uninstalled and reinstalled firefox, and tried virus scanning in safe mode (clean). I cleaned all my temporary internet files, cookies, cache, etc., but Firefox is still buggy. It often takes a long time to to load images and videos. When I log into Facebook and try to go to my profile, it simply says "done" and reloads the page I'm on.

I am running Windows XP Professional with service pack 3.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

If you are not finding any more malware, then either there is more malicious files hidden (undetected) on your system causing problems or the issue is with Firefox.

Optimizing FireFox:Note: Due to the way Firefox caches pages it will use more RAM the longer the browser is open. Closing and restarting more often will clear that out and should lower your resource usage dramatically.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Bad Medicine

Bad Medicine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'm afraid the problem has worsened. I can now no longer access the internet. The task manager says there is no network detected, and the device manager shows all networking hardware in an error state, saying that the drivers are missing or corrupted.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Try performing an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender or Kaspersky to see if they detect any malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Bad Medicine

Bad Medicine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

I cannot access the internet from the affected computer. Sadly, I'm going to have to have the school wipe the harddrive and reload windows and the other base programs. At least I backed up my files before it blew up =X Thank you for your time, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users