Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Computer Shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 billyandmelanie

billyandmelanie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

I have a gateway computer that is less than a year old. its a Vista operating system. every few days it will just suddenly shut down, telling me there's no video signal. usually its accompanied with 3 loud beeps. after that, i can't get it to come on and stay on for several days unless i turn it off and leave it alone for a day or two. then it will work fine again for a while. my computer just went out of warranty and gateway has been no help. they just keep telling me to unplug it, push the power button for 15sec and then plug it back in. this works maybe once, but then it stops working.

EDIT: Moved to Internal Hardware...MG

Edited by garmanma, 27 May 2009 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Try updating your video and display drivers maybe.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

WELL theres your problem its out of warranty :thumbsup: . Sorry I couldn't resist. This may be a problem with overheating have you taken a look inside at all. Now would be a good time since you have no warranty to void. Check for signs of dust build up and follow this tutorial . After the computer turns itself off does there appear to be any lights on the computer at all? Maybe just the monitor is turning off??
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 billyandmelanie

billyandmelanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

yes actually, the power light stays on on the pc. the monitor goes into a standby mode. if i just restart the monitor, it says "no signal" i do see some dust build up, taking care of that now. it also gets quite hot in our house so i'll see about getting a fan pointed right at the pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users