Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing 'shutdown' option for users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've been reading around for the last couple weeks as we try to get group policies setup where I work and have been unable to find anything about my specific problem. My research has given me topics about removing the shutdown option entirely and about how it can be done with a group policy. I know, we've instated this hoping it would do it. Sadly, it's removed the ability to restart as well.

My goal is to have it so when our staff shuts down their workstations, the "shutdown" is disabled from the drop down box and they have to restart. This would still enable the computers to update and do their scans over night as well as ensure they're restarted should the updates require it. I have been unable to find a group policy or any articles pertaining to this.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hello,

Have you tried group policy
LocalComputerPolicy/UserConfiguration/AdministrativeTemplates/StartMenuAndTaskBar/RemoveAndPreventAccessToShutdownCommand?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, it removes the entire shutdown option from start menu. I want them to have that, once that's selected a drop down comes up with 'Log off', 'shutdown', 'restart', 'standby' and I'd like to remove this shutdown option so they can still restart for updates and such.

I thought this was possible, but am no longer sure. I may have to look into having the workstations automatically/remotely turn on at night instead :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users