Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installation error for anti-virus software - possible infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steventori

steventori

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

I have been having trouble with PC Security Shield Deluxe and in my attempts to resolve the problem, have started wondering if I have a virus/worm (custom-built computer running Windows XP Pro). PC SSD 2008 will install but not update (cannot connect to the update server). PC SS Pro 2009 will not install - it keeps giving an installation error (-5006). I should note that I had trouble getting a clean download of the 2009 software - I kept getting a server connection lost error. My understanding is that this is usually due to old installations or problems during a previous installation, so I deleted all temp files and also went into regedit and erased all tracks of previous installs. Same problem occurred after cleaning.

PC Security techs believe it might be an infection. I have run Malwarbytes and have found nothing. However, I just came across an error log in the Windows/temp folder. There are two files that I cannot delete - one is Perflib_Perfdata_78c.dat and the other is WGAErrLog.txt. I cannot access the dat file, the txt file is a list of alphanumeric codes. Are these likely due to infection or a software problem? Is there a relatively easy way to determine their origin? Any suggestions for correcting it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:37 PM

These are not infections
These files are usually created when having a bad shutdown, etc. They are performance logs.
Sometimes you cannot delete them. You might have to "take ownership"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
If you have Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-ta...rship-file.html
I have more info, but I cannot find it at the moment

WGAErrLog.txt.
Is a diagnostic log for the Windows Genuine Advantage tool
It can be dleted
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 steventori

steventori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, garmanma! That helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users