Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the difference?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Supreme Edgeboy Max

Supreme Edgeboy Max

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

I'm confused. What's the difference between a "Release Candidate" and whatever the final product is?
And if it's a release candidate, why don't they just release it?

Also, what's the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit systems?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

The release candidate is bascially like taking a car for a test drive. Since its Free, you have limited time or usage of it. In order to keep using it you must buy the full version.

The difference between 32 vs 64 bit systems is that the 64 Bit OS makes better usage of RAM and your CPU.

I belive that the limit for 32 bit version is only 4GB, while the 64 bit version can go up to 16GB of RAM

I would only use the 64 bit if you are into gaming or anything like CAD or very heavy RAM and CPU usage, or anything that is complex and very graphically detailed. It would also help to get a good video card.

I would use the 32 bit version if all you do is surf online and use Microsoft office and stuff like that.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 30 May 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#3 Supreme Edgeboy Max

Supreme Edgeboy Max
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I see. I'm running 32-bit XP, so I've always been wondering. Now I know what version to get later on~
:] Thank you very much for telling me.

Posted Image

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Here’s the straight info from the Windows 7 FAQ:

Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) is a pre-release version of Windows 7, our next client operating system. When you use the RC, your PC sends information to our engineers to help them check the fixes and changes they made based on Beta tests. It takes hundreds of Microsoft engineers around the world to create each new release of Windows—but only you can help us perfect it.

The next version will be the RTM (release to market), which you will be able to purchase on new PCs or as a replacement OS.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

To follow up about some of your RC/RTM/availability questions, Microsoft just announced the availability of Windows 7 as October 22, 2009.

Here's a link to my post about it on here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1285815.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users