Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

Computer is Compaq Presario 5301 vintage 1998, w/windows 98 O/S. I have tried everything to speed this computer up, including a complete system restore. It is one of three on a Linksys 4 port router. Initially, when I turn it on it navigates pretty good, but when I go to a website like ebay and I type in a subject to search in their browser box, I cannot type a complete line unless I use the cursor bar on every letter and when I do get to the subject matter, and click in in takes a full 10 seconds or more until it navigates. That is the norm from then on no matter what website I go to, including my e-mail. I'm wondering now, if I have a bad mouse or if it's the router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zuko

zuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

Windows 98 O/S - I recently did a post conderning a slow computer & I wanted to add this, which may shed some light on the "slow" problem. Sometimes when navigating, the cursor will become "jerkey" and kind of out of control.

Edited by The weatherman, 27 May 2009 - 02:37 PM.
Merged post

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hmmm... have you tried using Rain? It's meant to cool your processor, but it also speeds up your OS, since it frees up the processor.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

According to Crucial www.crucial.com the system shipped with 32 megs of memory on it.
If that is the case, it will be slow!

It takes PC133 memory with a max of 384 megs.
Consider upgrading the memory to 256 megs for about 50 bucks
That will help a great deal
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:03 AM

What version of Internet Explorer are you using? You need to have IE6 SP1 to have any functionality on the internet these days. After you have that make sure your java and flash are up to date.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users