Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

index.dat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sultrynights

sultrynights

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

I found out that IE5 has something called index.dat files that keep track of where you go on the internet. I have upgraded to IE7 but was wondering if there is a way to remove all those old IE5 files that were logging my searches. The files are hard to find but they are there. I downloaded a free program that clears some of them but it didn't remove them all and I'd like to get rid of them permanently. Can anyone please help with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index.dat

My advice would be to leave such files alone, they are trivial, IMO (and I left my paranoia back in 1971 when I left the university)...but it's your system and I've been wrong many, many times :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

thanks louis! i wanted to clean them for personal reasons...i'm not totally paranoid, yet! :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

I didn't mean you...but the majority of those who initiated concern about such...certainly seem to have been such :thumbsup:.

I wonder if they are concerned about having all critical updates installed, along with requisite other malware-defense programs? Just an idle thought :flowers:.

Louis

#5 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

certainly possible! :thumbsup: thanks again for the link.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

You can remove the index.dat file by signing into another account, making sure all hidden and system files are visible and then going into the profile for the account that you want that deleted from and just delete it. It wil be recreated when you log into that name. You can get to it by going to Documents and Settings, User Name, Local Settings, Temporary Internet Files, Content IE5,

As for the files in the IE5 folders, those are cleared out when you use Internet Options in Control Panel and select delete files. The history files are cleared out in the same place by clicking on clear history.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hello if needed...
Show hidden files .

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

thanks so much for the help, stang and boop! Good to know i can get rid of them. :thumbsup:

#9 HawkPunk

HawkPunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Its not very smart to delete encrypted files. That being said, you can read these files using index.dat Viewer™, available free at http://www.pointstone.com/products/

~Hawk~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users