Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a File to Open Automatically

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hello-- I have a wordpad file that I would like to automatically open everytime I start or reboot my system. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this?? I tried this.... http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-...ically-in-.html But it didn't work as it seems to be for autostarting programs rather then files. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time qand help. :huh: :huh:

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

As a matter of fact there is. I just tested it, and got it to work. I however, did it through a program called WinPatrol.
http://download.cnet.com/WinPatrol/3000-8022_4-10129149.html
It's a free program that basically just monitors, and lets you make changes to your startup, services, active tasks, ect. I don't really mess with msconfig, as it seems very temperamental to me, so if there's a way to do it through that, then I'm not sure what it is.

But, if you want to give WinPatrol a try, here's how to do it.

Using WinPatrol, under the Startup Programs tab, select 'add'.
Posted Image

Choose 'all files (*.*)' from the drop down menu.
Posted Image

Locate the document that you want opening on startup.
Posted Image

Hit open, make sure it's now in your startup list, and you're done. Simple.
Posted Image

If you're not willing to use WinPatrol, or a similar program, then I'm not sure how it'd be done. I checked Msconfig, but I'm not sure. I don't like messing with it, personally. I'm a fan of WinPatrol as it really seems to idiot proof things for me. In fact I'm planning on upgrading to the pay version eventually. Hope this helps you . Good luck.

#3 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

hello Doug

very nice post :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#4 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

Hi Doug E. Fresh(No one could beatbox like him)-- Thanks for the reply. I am familar with WinPatrol(Nice Program). I was actually looking for a more "Techy" way to get the file to open on boot up. I thought there might be a boot sequence tweak or registry tweak that might do it. Also, if you are looking for a free program that controls what programs run on startup and don't like msconfig try this.... http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Startup/300....html?tag=mncol I have been using it for a while just to control what programs boot on startup and it works great without a lot of other features cluttering it up. Thanks again for the reply Doug....It is much appreciated. :huh: :huh:

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

Thanks, Keny.

No problem, Johnny. I'll try to check out that program, too. I'm always willing to try something out that might help my computer run better. Lately Vista has been a real memory hog so I've been trying different things to try to get it running a little better.

I actually couldn't name one Dougie Fresh song if you put a gun to my head. Haha. I've been stuck with the nickname since grade school though. :D

#6 Sunildev

Sunildev

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Wells you can always use a good ole batch file! the start command will do what you need just fine, toss it in the startup folder and youre good to go

@echo off
start wordpad test.rtf

obviously if your rtf file is located elsewhere youll want to include the full path, if it includes spaces just toss some double uplifted quotation marks.
Sunildev.

#7 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi Sunildev-- Thank you for your response. Actually, that is exactly what I was wanting to do. Create a batch file that would open a particular wordpad file on reboot. I wrote the batch file according to your instructions and copied it to my startup folder according to these instructions http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-...ically-in-.html However, on reboot the wordpad file did not open. If I click the batch file saved on my desktop the program executes correctly and opens the wordpad file....but it will not automatically open on reboot. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks :huh: :huh:

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hello.

It's me again. :huh:

As always, there are two ways to acomplish this task.

1) Adding a key to the registry to cause an application to start at startup.

2) Via a batch file in the Startup folder.

Let's go with option 2) since it's safer the option 1). I rarely tell people to modify or add things in the registry as it is very dangerous if you make a mistake.

I'll assume that your .rtf file is on your desktop. If it's not please move it to your desktop. I also do not know the name of your file that you want to open, so for this case, simply rename that file to MyScript.rtf

Then create a batch file.

Create batch script
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the word "quote".

@Echo off
    start "" "%userprofile%\desktop\MyScript.rtf" /max

• Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input Script.bat.
  • Hit OK.
Please copy and paste that file to the startup folder. To do this, right-click on your start menu and select explore. Double click on Programs folder and then double click on startup folder. Please paste the batch file there.

Reboot your computer and that file of yours shall open.

Good luck! Let me know if there were any issues.

/Edit: You can also add more than one file/appplication to be opened at startup using 1 batch file. This may take sometime for the computer to acomplish the task though. For example: opening only that one .rtf file may take some time (3-4 sec) as there are probably other applications in the registry that needs to be started first. This may include your security programs or other softwares that are needed to be started at startup. If you would like me to create 1 batch file for any other files, all I will need is the exact file name and extension and the exact location of that file.

Cheers!

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 31 May 2009 - 10:44 AM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#9 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hi EB-- That worked great....File opened right up on reboot. Thanks so much for the help EB....As always it is very much appreciated :huh: :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users