Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Disk Error Press any key to restart"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LuisAE

LuisAE

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

Yesterday, I recieved a new 80GB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) for my Dell Optiplex GX280 SD. As soon as I recieved it I shutdown my computer and replaced my 40GB HDD with it; however, once I turned on my PC I got a black screen with a message that said: "Disk Error Press any key to restart". Everytime I hit Eneter (or any other button) I get the same message right underneath it. In order to restart my computer I have to press Ctrl/Alt/Delete.

Why am I getting this message? Is the Hard Drive damaged? Should I return it? Or am I doing something wrong? I tried to install a clean version of Windows XP but can't because my computer doesn't boot up.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

1. Check the connections.

2. Check the jumper setting if a PATA drive. Make sure that it matches the cable on which it is connected...or all devices on that cable are set to C/S. You can use your old drive to see what the jumper setting should be.

3. Go into the BIOS and see if the drive is properly detected.

4. Check the BIOS boot options.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

Your computer is set to boot from the HDD first. You will need to enter into the bios and change the boot sequence to boot from the cd/dvd rom drive first this will start the windows installation process.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 LuisAE

LuisAE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

Your computer is set to boot from the HDD first. You will need to enter into the bios and change the boot sequence to boot from the cd/dvd rom drive first this will start the windows installation process.

Yeah, I think that's what the problem is. Originally, it was set to boot from my DVD drive; however, since I've just noticed that my DVD drive is not being recognized in BIOS, it automatically moved on to booting from my blank hard disk drive. So, I am assuming that is the reason why I continue to get a "Disk Error". I'm still not 100% sure though. I guess I have to wait until I recieve a new IDE cable for my DVD drive. (assuming that's the reason my DVD-RW isn't being recognized in BIOS)

I'll update you once I get my new IDE cable. Thanks for helping! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users