Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently stuck having to use MSIE7 provided by Yahoo, and in my humble opinion that sucker sucks.

Everytime that I open it it opens to the Welcome To IE7 page and tells me that I have to set some options, which I do, then that sucker just flat refuses to save my settings and tells me that my settings weren't saved.

Having to go through this every time I open that browser has me ready to scream. I tried upgrading to MSIE8 several times, but alas, all I ever end up with is IE7 and its welcome page.

I went into the Add/Remove Programs thingy to see about uninstalling IE7 so that I could do a clean install of IE8... BUT there isn't any mention of Internet Explorer there at all.

I also looked in the Add/Remove Windows Components thingy to disable\uninstall it but that says that Internet Explorer is 0.0 MB in size.

I checked it for removal anyway, but that didn't do me any good either as IE8 still wouldn't install and I still got that same IE7 welcome screen.

So then I looked in the IE folder in the Program Files and didn't find an uninstall icon there either. I even tried to install IE6 but it wouldn't install because a newer version of IE was detected on my PC.

Now, as I want to kick IE7 to the curb, and install IE8, my question is; "How how the heck do I get rid of IE7?" Do I have to delete the whole Internet Explorer folder or is there something that I missed?

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:22 AM

1. please don't bold and resize everything.

Now for your problem. You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 :thumbsup: ... however you can upgrade from IE7 to IE8 simply go here and download & install IE8. If you're still experiencing problems with IE, or want to try another one (generally these are safer, as malware/spyware looks for holes in Internet Explorer) you can download Mozilla firefox, Apple's Safari or Google's chrome

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#3 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Wendy,

What does "provided by Yahoo" mean? Is it an add on or toolbar?
You might try looking in Manage Add ons and disable Yahoo add ons
and see if IE works correctly.

If that doesn't help try running IE with no add ons.
Start>Accessories>System Tools>IE no add ons

If that helps you'll need to re-enable add ons one by one to find the culprit.

Edited by Bartster, 27 May 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

It may be a Yahoo branded browser supplied by her ISP. I was using a branded version of IE6. But I was having trouble with it. My ISP is not upgrading the Yahoo branded browser but replacing it with a branded toolbar. So I upgraded to IE8 with the toolbar and it's working a lot better. It could depend on what her ISP is doing but I would suggest that Wendy upgrade to IE8.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hi Stofzuiger, Thanks for the prompt reply.

As for bolding and resizing my font, I'm as nearsighted as old Mr. Magoo, even with my contacts in and wearing reading glasses Boo, and I do that so that I don't have to suffer from eye strain trying to see the smaller, and lighter fonts.

One way or another I want the current IE browser completely out of my system. Thanks for that link, I've already tried it once several days ago, and even after downloading, and supposedly installing IE8 all I came out with was the same IE7 that I already had. But I'll give it another shot as soon as I get off of here.

Hi Bartster, Thanks for the quick reply.

Take a look at "This" See what it says at the top of the browser? That's what I meant by IE& being powered by Yahoo.

I think that I had tried turning off all of the add-ons once already but I'll give that a go to see what happens.

Hi frankp316, Thanks for the reply.

My browser is supposed to be provided by my ISP which is AT&T and it isn't supposed to have Yahoo's name on it at all, and I've already tried that upgrading to IE8 several times but it still keeps popping up with IE7.

I'm off to give it another go at ridding myself of IE7.

Thanks again for your help and time guys.

Wendy

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

Wendy, you cannot totally remove Internet Explorer, as there are programs that require IE to be installed in order to run. Even your OS uses internet explorer...

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

It's similar to what I used to have from my ISP. Maybe AT&T has an updated browser. You should take a look at their website.

#8 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:14 AM

To unbrand Internet Explorer and get rid of the Yahoo name, go to http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/unbrand.htm download and rund the script.

#9 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

From looking at your screenshot this might be your problem:

Posted Image

Try this:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-ie-r...-every-startup/

Edited by Bartster, 28 May 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#10 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

Or this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385

Click Fix It.

Edited by Bartster, 29 May 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi to all of you who have replied to this topic,

I was finally successful in getting IE8 to download, and finally to install, after maybe the third try. I'm still bummed with it though as it seems to be giving me trouble on a couple of websites that I go to. I know I never had any problems using IE6.

Anyway I've given up on IE for now and am sticking to Firefox.

Thanks again for all of your time, help, and thoughtfull suggestions... :thumbsup: Oh, and I also learned how to get my fonts big enough that I don't have to bold or resize those buggers to see them.

Thanks again to everyone who pitched in with this problem.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users