Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blurredweasel

Blurredweasel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Something I've been pondering over. First off, does a virus or Trojan or any other malware use Windows Installer to install itself on your system? I'm not sure if the program is called Windows Installer or if it is the one called Setup.exe. Nevertheless, I'm under the impression that malware needs to use some sort of utility in your system to get itself in there.

My question is this: If the aforementioned is such, I'm wondering is there a way to be in control of the install utility? A way to keep it from doing anything without my permission. Is there a way I could keep it locked away from the bad-guys using it, and, when I need to legitimately use it (such as updates or program installs), then I can unlock it.

Spyware is removable, but a boot virus usually means game over for your system. I've been bitten enough times to count. It would be nice to be able to stop a virus from getting in by denying it the means or utility to do so. This idea sounds so low tech and simple to me that it would seem to good to be true. Any input welcomed.

Thanks.

WinXP Home SP3, Avast! Home Edition, Windows Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

<>

I guess that's why...critical updates...a firewall that's operational...a reliable, current AV program...and a couple of decent antimalware programs (e.g., SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes) are the foundations of a PC's security posture.

...along with user responsibility for safe computing practices.

If you want to know how various forms of malware get into a system...there's plenty of material covering such, available just by using Google. This material covers trojans, frequenting known sites with malware, etc.

Additionally, there's a forum right here which can provide some insights that are more current and factual than anything I could dream up to say.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

In fact, there are several different forums under the Security blanket here...that you may want to visit.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users