Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Rewrite Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CJustin

CJustin

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hi all,

I've had this problem for quite some time now, but hopefully someone here can help me fix it.

When I insert a rewritable CD in my CD/DVD drive, it displays as if it was an ordinary CD-R. In other words, the data that is already on the CD-RW appears to be CDFS format (I'm not sure if it's the format used in CD-RWs), and XP does not give me the "erase this rewritable cd" option any more. What can I do to remedy this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Laptop or PC. If its a PC:
My first step would be to power your computer down, unplug the power cord from the computer, and reseat the cables to the CD drive (both the power and data cable). Plug power back in and power up the PC. Sometimes, electronics just need to have power completely removed from them to reset them and make them work right.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd get a new DVD burner. You can find many online for under $35.

If its a laptop:
Same as above but remove the battery from the laptop before pulling the CD drive out. There is usually a single screw that holds the drive in. Once that screw is removed, you can pull the entire drive right out and then put it right back in again to reseat it.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 CJustin

CJustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. If nothing else works, I will try re-seating the drive cable. But the drive still reads DVDs and CDs and burns CD-RWs just fine. I'm wondering what could possibly be wrong.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

Posted Image

I remember a long time ago, beneath the red circle, there were more options for CD-RWs, including an option for "erase this CD-RW." They have simply disappeared!

Call me old-fashioned but the reason why I still try to use optical disks is because I don't want to mess around with wires in my car, and my car doesn't have an mp3 player.

btw, it is a laptop.

Edited by CJustin, 01 June 2009 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users