Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strawberry virus aftermath [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CJustin

CJustin

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hi all,

I have discovered some problems related to the strawberry virus, which I had previously removed with a program called the "strawberry juicer" - it worked and I'm not getting any more of the "baguio" pop-ups, but two problems remain:

1. Whenever I try to access msconfig, there is a message saying that I need to log on as administrator. I can still access msconfig after I close this window.

2. The autorun feature for removable drives does not work, even after changing the settings in XP and altering the registry values (these two methods were found using a search engine).

If anyone can resolve these two problems I will greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

I have no knowledge of Strawberry Juicer, but several programs now disable autoruns intentionally

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:These types of infections usually involve malware that modifies and loads an autorun.inf (configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When the removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 CJustin

CJustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, maybe I'll forget about the autorun problem. What about the pop-up administrator message for msconfig?

I will provide a screenshot soon to clarify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users