Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot SD resident keeps blocking something

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 killerzoodles

killerzoodles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Well, I turned on the computer (Vista 64 bit) and up pops up Spybot SD Resident v 1.6.0.30 and it tells me that a bunch of things have been changed, so i deny them all like i regularly do. Then this one keeps popping up as soon as i click deny so i check remember my decision. Then it just keeps on getting denied continually. The thing that is getting denied is wextract_cleanup1. it says 17:33 Registry change denied Identified as user blacklist, Resident denied the change of wextract_cleanup1 (Category system startup global entry) based on your blacklist. All i've done about it so far is scan with avira antivirus. What should i do if it is a virus or harmful to my computer or if it's not, how do i unblock it? Thanks for your time and help in advance =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

wextract_cleanup0 and wextract_cleanup1 are usually runonce startup entries added to cleanup after installations. If the startup entry is being deleted it means that cleanup has already run and by denying the registry change you are running the installation cleanup over and over again.

Spybot forums Post #2: wextract_cleanup1

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users