Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on for random amounts of time after being unplugged

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 McHadies

McHadies

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

Be it on or off while it happens, if the true power switch is flipped off or the its unplugged or the surge protector is turned off my computer won't turn back on till a small number display on the mobo turns on and a double click is played through the internal speaker. sometimes it takes 30 mins other times 8 hours. As I am writing this it is currently unresponsive. 4 year old low end alienware aurora: Sapphire 9550 se, socket 939 AMD athlon 64 3000, ~12 watt power supply. 2 512 sticks of ddr 400 ram

Edited by McHadies, 26 May 2009 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I would try removing the cmos battery out of the computer for a few minutes, then put it back in. This will reset the BIOS settings.

If you still experience problems, I would think it's probably the power supply failing, or the motherboard. I would suspect it to be the power supply more likely.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 McHadies

McHadies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Battery test didn't work. Found a similar voltage PCU going to swap mobo power to see if I can get it to boot

Edited by McHadies, 26 May 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#4 McHadies

McHadies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

Well I took a power supply from an old computer that I need to replace the ram on. Connected nearly everything, when I press the power on button all the fans turn and LEDs flash. The POST code my mobo displays while idle is: 9.F. It says 8.3 (power supply ready?) after I press the button, during the 1 long and 1 short beep it flashes to 9.E and 9.C. Then it returns to 9.F. I am told that the 1 long 1 short beeps mean there is a RAM error.

Old power supply is not 12 watt! Terrible typo. 460 watt

Edited by McHadies, 27 May 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Are you connecting the power supply to your computer. or installing your components into the computer that needs the memory? If you are getting the post beeps with your system and the memory is installed properly I would try getting the computer to POST with just the memory, processor, and video installed.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 McHadies

McHadies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

I'm connecting a new power supply to my computer.

I solved a problem, in my haste I created a short circuit to my exhaust(?) fan, in its wires it has a receptor for the connector to my intake fan.
I didn't notice this because my intake is attached to my easy remove panel.

Now my computer boots for about 4 seconds and the POST code during on time is 8.b. then after it goes down 9.c. then 9.f during off time like always after I've tried to install the new power supply(invoke all isa adapter roms, invoke all pci roms (except vga) It emits one long bleep and 4 short beeps.

Edited by McHadies, 27 May 2009 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users