Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Closing Right away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beckylousiana

beckylousiana

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

May 15 status: For about a month, my computer started slowing and IE7 was really slow and freezing, so I decided to update to IE8. After installing and trying to open, rec'd error message about an Add-on program not being compatible, so I checked "Always open without". From the very start, IE8 would freeze up with white screen, and very few times would it connect to the internet, or even give me the "cannot connect" message, just froze. All of my programs started freezing, I could not do anything. I ran PCTools scan with no results, then I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it found Virtumonde & AdawareAlert. I chose to remove, and indicated that is was removed.(Now the past log in SSD does not mention Virtumonde?)
This did not help with programs, so I decided to do a system restore. All of the programs seem to be running fine, and IE is connecting to the internet, I have no idea what version, as there are no tool bars. Only the address bar with: < > address bar, refresh, X, and Google search bar at the far right with a Magnifying glass. NO Menu bar, NO status Bar. I can't right click anywhere in the bar, or the body of the window to try and reset toolbar options. I cannot download anything, or even attach a file in my Yahoo email?? I cannot copy and paste, and my Delete button does not work, (works in all other programs). I have been working between my Laptop and a Thumbdrive to get all Read and Run me programs ran and logs. I have completed all and the logs are attached here. I could put IE8 on the thumb drive and try to reinstall it, but I am scared? I have also run PCTools Antivirus Scan again also, and it has not found anything, I have looked back through the logs and there is not mention of Virtumonde.

I performed the “Read and Run Me” suggested thru MajorGeeks.com, ( performed mainly via downloading programs and logs on a thumbdrive under the circumstances ) After completing all the processes, it did seem to help all other programs and operation, but now when clicking on IE, it opens and closes immediately. I have uninstalled IE, and Reinstalled via a thumbdrive. Still nothing.

I have attached the DDS scan, and some of the logs that I have ran for MajorGeeks, (((except for the ComboFix Logs that I see that this forum does not approve)))
If there is anything suggestions. UH OH!! Actually I am now to the point to attach logs/files and do not see a link, I am sure it is right in front of me, but I cannot see it.

I so respect MajorGeeks Forum, they have helped me tremendously in the past and I had a very knowledgeable person respond and view my logs 3 days after I posted, May 18.. but have not yet been able to fix the problem, My husband filed an extension for our Income taxes, and we have to file them soooooon, and was hoping some fresh new eyes would help. Sometimes a second opinion doesn’t hurt!

P.S. I am now also having problems with my laptop, and hopefully didn’t transfer any virus/Trojan/or bug to my laptop using the thumb drive….
PP.SS. I am trying to cook Gumbo for 20 people and do this at the same time, so please forgive anything that I left out! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hi and welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

Is your log still active at MajorGeeks? If so, you should only follow the advise given by the helper at that forum. Doing otherwise can cause major problems.

I didn't see where you had run malwarebytes, so let's try it here.

The process of cleaning your computer may require temporarily disabliling some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 beckylousiana

beckylousiana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hi! I haven't received any advice or suggestions from MajorGeeks. After doing the "Read and Run me" and posting the logs, he stated that the programs run appear to have taken care of most of it. He had me run ComboFix with an extra file that I had to drag and drop onto Combo Fix, but I see that this Forum does not support that, so I ran the dds, but cannot attach the logs, and I did do MalwareBytes and I would like to attach the log but I can't. I am brain dead, but if you could tell me how to attach the logs, i will attach the DDS, SAS, MBAM, and MG logs if you would like them! I know i am going to feel like a dummy when you tell me how... but like I said, I am almost brain dead.... P.S....the gumbo turned out GooooD, wish I could offer you some in exchange for your help!!!

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

We can't work dds, or CF logs here. If you wish to pursue those, you can create a new topic in the HJT forum. Just let me know so I can close this topic.

To produce the log here, just open the log from Malwarebytes and copy and paste it in a post.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 beckylousiana

beckylousiana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

OK, here it is!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2147
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2009-05-18 07:42:42
mbam-log-2009-05-18 (07-42-42).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 194147
Time elapsed: 33 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

Next step

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users