Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't let me download McAfee

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 guillojagr

guillojagr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

I chatted with the McAfee free chat folks and they've only gotten me so far as to get the program to download. Once i ran the setup for it, after clicking on "typical" installation a windows error message pops up saying something, but I can't remember. Anyway, they thought that I must have some sort of computer infection or virus preventing it from installing. I had the program free from my internet provider, but since i've moved it now expired and so I decided to pay and renew it. After paying for it, a message popped up after trying to run the updates for it saying there was an error and McAfee had to be reinstalled. I then uninstalled it and this is where my problems began. Now I can't even download the newer McAfee program setup because apparently it was updated since I left for the weekend. Everytime I log in to my Mcafee account and try to download it. All it downloads is a mcafee.exe file that is 0 bytes and doesn't do anything. Can anyone help me with this? I've tried downloading spybot and when I run the setup for that I get an error message saying "Error sending request. The server name or address could not be resolved". I have since tried downloading AVG 8.5 free edition and scanned with that...it didn't help. I also paid for this Registry Mechanic software and that didn't fix the problem. What else can I do? I don't feel safe not having virus protection especially when I have paid for it. They want to charge me $70 at least to chat with someone on their help line to clean up my computer. I refuse to pay that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

If you uninstalled it through add/remove open My Computer
Double click the C drive
Look for a folder named McAfee & delete it.
Open the Programs folder & repeat
Try downloading McAfee & installing it.

If you haven't been able to download & install any AV program you more then likely have a virus.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 guillojagr

guillojagr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

I tried what you suggested and still no luck. I deleted all the mcafee folders like you said and tried to download it again. I don't remember if i mentioned in my original posting, but my computer won't even let me do a system restore to an earlier date. I get to the point where it says click next to proceed with the restoration. I click Next and nothing happens. Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users