Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi;

First I have to come clean and admit that I've been trying to use the Vista Home Premium Upgrade version even though I don't have a legal copy of WinXP on my machjne. For at least 6 or 7 years now I've been running a corporate version of XP, that dosn't require activation. But I came into a little extra money recently and decided to go legit. Of course I didn't want to "upgrade" over that bootleg version So I tried the system were you install Vista once without entering the Product Key Then install it again as a regular upgrade install.
That all seems to work out pretty well except when I start the upgrade install it says it can't find several things and after the Install it doesn't want to boot up correctly. But it will boot in safe mode, usually! It seems to detiriorate quickly though so that it is soon unusable. I've tried it from several optical drives both ATAPI and SATA in two differant machines. My main machine (see sig. below) and my old backup machine with an ECS motherboard running my old Pentium D. Basically all the same problems occured.

Any body got any tips, tricks or suggestions?

Thanks, Chuck.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

Good call with getting a legitimate copy of Windows Vista.

Here is a link that should help you with the installation process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884.

You’re going to want to look for the “perform a clean installation” section and go from there.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users