Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Network, but I have internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soloratov

Soloratov

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

First a few specs:

Vista x64 Ultimate
4gb RAM
AMD Phenom X4
ASRock A780GXH Motherboard - USING THE ONBOARD LAN

Something very odd happened today. In the system tray the network icon is x'ed as if I unplugged the network cable. However, it is plugged in, and when I open a webpage, it loads. I can go wherever I want as far as websites are concerned. The weird thing is, I can not see the network, or any computers on it. In fact, if I go into Network and Sharing, it would seem I have no supported hardware for networking. Hmmm, so in device manager, under Network Adapters, there is one listed, but I am fairly certain it's not correct. Tried refreshing, nothing. Tried restarting, nothing. Not really sure how to go about figuring this one out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

do Start>cmd
in window type
netstat -an
enter
make a screen shot
print screen
Start>all programs>accessories>paint
Edit>paste
use select box tool and click drag over your data.
edit>cut
file>new (no)
edit>paste
file >save save to desktop as a JPG not bmp
exit paint
type "ipconfig /all"
compare.
make another screenshot.
What do you see?

#3 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

Ok, so I did it, and I did see a few things. First let me go back a bit and say, ever since I built this machine I have had nothing but issues. I had posted a while back about frequent random shutdowns, that I could not find a cause for, and is still an issue. Let me give you a complete breakdown of whats in this thing.

ASRock A780GXH/128M Motherboard - ALL DRIVERS UP TO DATE
WD 640GB HDD
4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
EVGA 9800 GTX+ - DRIVERS UP TO DATE
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena AM2+
Rosewill RX750-D-B 750W
GeForce 8400 GS - SAME DRIVERS AS 9800

Vista x64 Ultimate
Office 2007
Solidworks 2009
AutoCAD 2009
Photoshop CS4 x 64

Those are the most frequently used installed software.

Now, I will say I have quite a bit of experience in building PC's, but, i am curious since this is the first one that has 2 video cards. The boss wanted more than 2 screens, so I did the looking and chose 2 that would run the same exact drivers, so i don't think there is a conflict there. Also, I am confident that 1066 RAM is fine with this CPU configuration.

As far as the restarts are concerned, whenever it happens, the event viewer shows a "Kernel-Process-Power" error. Did a google search, came up with nothing too useful.

Back to the issue at hand. Here are some shots of the screens that came up in the process of gathering the network information. I did see some differences, but not entirely sure what they mean.

IMAGES REMOVED

This last one shows up every time I open the network and sharing window. If this is hardware, this will be a major pain, if it's Vista then I will just deal until Windows 7 comes.

Edited by Soloratov, 27 May 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

Lot of info:.
First: disable netbios. Start?control Panel>network connections>select proper connection>properties>internet protocol TCP>properties>advanced>wins>disable netbios
Second enable DHCP.

run your test again and see what is happening. You are on a hunt.
your ipconfig looks normal at first glance but I did not look very hard :thumbsup:
Your netstat -an shows your ipconnections followed by the port number that is in operation. At the time you ran the netstat there were a lot of ports that were not connected. with that tool you can see from time to time what ports are connected and use another tool "TRACERT" and "WHO is" to check out a ipaddress. Netstat has other commands which you can access "netstat ?".
you can also ust TCPview fron Sysinterals.com. What does not appear normal to me is the last 4 entries in your netstat and the dashes in the TCP starting at port 135. Port 135 is your epmap. (end point Map)
you will note both the ucp of your normal IP and the last entry are pointed at the same port 1900. which are SSDP ports. It appears that you are satalite connected as your ethernet cable was not pluged in.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers.

Also the ast four entries which look like regestry entries also point to ports in the 50xxx.

All of these ports are closed at the time you ran the netstat. What is curious is the items "__ __ "
your ethernet connection looks like it is pointing to Frontier Communications in NY while the other connection points to another portal. You could be denied access.???

Normally your internet connection should be shown in your task manager by svchost which shows your system as 0000 and your loopback of 127.xxx and your router (or modem)192.xxx. The next destination would be the Ip provider.

Have some fun in solving your puzzle and hope you have not been hacked. Good luck. You probably do not want to post any more information about your problem or system but have a few tools to use and you can google what different things mean

Edited by Geneva, 27 May 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#5 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Geneva. I only wanted the images up there until you saw them anyway.

I am sure it has nothing to do with an external source. The thing is, it's my bosses computer, the odd part being EVERY computer I have built for him, has had issues. Mine never have, my other coworkers has not either. Now the real thing is this, I think i found an answer to the restarting randomly issue, but can these network issues be caused by fiddling around in the registry? Yeah, he just "mentioned" that he was trying to set the view properties permanently system wide in Explorer by monkeying around in the registry........OY! Just a thought.......

#6 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

yes, he has probably screwed up the regestry and a few other things to boot. You can go to Windows and do a free scan using defender and it will corret regestry errors. Next do start>run>services.msc and take a look at the services. People can really mess up by changing services without knowing what they are doing. You can see if services are started and how they are started. You can right click and see more info on each service. For instance I have SSDP disabled. Also thak a look in by doing a msconfig and look in the startup tab. A lot of programs put themselves in start up and clog memory and some programs have built in internet port connections to connect the computer to their servers. HP and their printer software is an example. These programs can be started manually if necessary. Another source of garbage is in many cases the add remove programs just unregester programs and leave behind in the applications data folders tons of old stuff. The anti virus, spy programs etc are great for doing this. you can also get vpmap from sysinterals which gives you a look at the stack.
Last download IE8 and don't try to fix IE7

Edited by Geneva, 27 May 2009 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users