Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access safe mode in xp pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 entrusted

entrusted

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Attempted to cycle power on, but got only a black screen with blinking cursor. Attempted OS repair via xp installation cd, but was ineffective. Also ran full system diagnostics with no discrepancies. Am now attempting to access safe mode in order to execute "last known config." option, but F8 produces no response. I feel like I've exhausted all of my known avenues. Ideas? Thanks so much in advance for any insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

I would try running the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console.

Louis

#3 entrusted

entrusted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for your reply hamluis. Tried the "fixmbr" command from recovery console, but it was ineffective. I hate to consider it, but do you think I may need to run a clean install??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

There must be more to this.

If you read the link I provided, you will see a list of possibilities.

A clean install will solve various situations...but it will have no impact at all on a hardware situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users