Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant turn on the automatic updater.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 senior03

senior03

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Im having a problem with the windows updater, for some reason im not able to turn it on and when it asks me if i want to update it manually, nothing happens.

I tried to go to microsofts website and get the download but apparently i need IE and not firefox but my IE doesnt work..

So, what could be the problem?

When i try to turn it on it gives me this error message:

"The security center cant change the preferences for the automatic update" (a rough translation)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 intrinsic

intrinsic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

You can try registering some .dlls to fix the problem
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run (or type Run and then click on it in list)
3. Type the following commands, and press Enter after each of them (also wait for the window saying the operation was performed successfully to appear) you can copy and paste them if you want.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Edited by intrinsic, 26 May 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#3 senior03

senior03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

You can try registering some .dlls to fix the problem
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run (or type Run and then click on it in list)
3. Type the following commands, and press Enter after each of them (also wait for the window saying the operation was performed successfully to appear) you can copy and paste them if you want.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll

I dont wanna come off as a douche seeing as youve gone out of your way to help me, but can someone confirm that those dll's arent something thats gonna mess my pc up?

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

@senior3
Some questions:
What is the exact error message for Internet Explorer? Is it internet explorer 7 or internet explorer 8?
Do you have SP1 installed? Sp2 installed?
What is the exact error message for the Windows Update failure?
Runnning Vista 32 or 64?
Have you been infected recently?
Run a resident anti-virus scan recently?
Run any on demand scanners like MalwareBytes AntiMalware or SUPERAntispyware? Computer clean of malware?

#5 senior03

senior03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

@senior3
Some questions:
What is the exact error message for Internet Explorer? Is it internet explorer 7 or internet explorer 8?
Runnning Vista 32 or 64?
Run any on demand scanners like MalwareBytes AntiMalware or SUPERAntispyware? Computer clean of malware?

"Internet explorer has stopped working.

A problem was at fault for making the program stop working. windows will shut down the program and will give you a message if theres a solution."

SP1

"The security center cant change the preferences for the automatic update"
And in the error box it shows a link that says "change the preferences manually" and when i do that nothing happens.

Runnning Vista 32 or 64?
32 premium

not that i know off

you mean if i scanned the pc? if so, yea but theres no virus or anything (free avg)

never heard of any of them.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Try running check disk to see if if there are corrupt files How to Use Check Disk in Windows Vista

#7 senior03

senior03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

Try running check disk to see if if there are corrupt files How to Use Check Disk in Windows Vista

Didnt work, after the check and the reboot i still have the red X in the corner and when i try to turn it on i still get the same message.

I think (THINK) it might have something to do with a program called kiwee toolbar, when i try to remove it from the add/remove list it gives me an error message saying

"pythonw.exe has stopped working

A problem was at fault for making the program stop working. Windows will shut down the program and give you a message, if theres a solution"

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

SOund like you have a browser jacker. Kiwee is often times a spyware/malware platform. You should zip over to the virus forum and let them take care of the problem. I would lay odds you are infected. They will "familiarize" you with Super Anti Spyware and the rest of those malware programs tork mentioned.

Oh and yes, those DLL's intrinsic told you about ARE the ones needed for update.

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

Didnt work, after the check and the reboot i still have the red X in the corner and when i try to turn it on i still get the same message.

I think (THINK) it might have something to do with a program called kiwee toolbar, when i try to remove it from the add/remove list it gives me an error message saying

"pythonw.exe has stopped working

A problem was at fault for making the program stop working. Windows will shut down the program and give you a message, if theres a solution"

If you are still trying to remove the kiwee toolbar - see How to Uninstall Kiwee toolbar

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:15 AM

See if anything here helps: Cannot Update Windows using Windows Update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users