Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Suddenly fails to recognise DVD-Rs/CD-Rs as such?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gregol_X2

Gregol_X2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hello I am running Windows XP SP2. I have Nero 7 installed. I do not believe this to be a hardware problem; but i could be wrong. I would like to exhaust all possiblities before buying a new DVD-RW drive. my DVD-RW drive is a pioneer DVR-111d

Recently I haven't made any changes to my computer as far as I can tell; but suddenly my DVD-RW drive seems not to work. I don't beleive it to be the actual hardware; it just seems windows gets confused somehow; here are the symptoms:

1. When the drive is empty; in explorer it shows up as "DVD-RW Drive" and upon clicking properties it tells me devicce type is DVD-CD ROM drives, the device is working properly, driver DVR-111D version 5.1.2535.0. I tried downloading a driver update but the installer fails giving an (Available Target is not Found) error message

2. It can read CD-ROM's and DVD-ROM's just fine; when i put in a CD, in explorer the drive label CHANGES to "CD drive" and when i put in a dvd, it changes to "DVD drive". It reads the discs just fine

3. When I put in a DVD-R, in explorer the drive label CHANGES to "CD drive". The explorer autoplay shows up and calls it a 'blank cd'. It offeres among other things to let me open a writable CD folder, launch nero startsmart, make a data disc using nero express, etc. These are options i should get if i was dealing with a CD-RW drive.

4. When I open a writable CD folder, it seems to work, but when i try to copy something, it just tells me that 'windows encountered a problem trying to copy this file' with no explanation.

5. when i try to use nero, it just thinks i want to make an ISO and won't give me the option to burn to disc, in burning ROM, if i click on disc info, it asks me to please select a recorder or CD/DVD-ROM drive. In the drop down menu, my D: drive (the DVD-RW drive) does not appear. Nero cannot find it.

Somehow this bothers me far more than you think it would. It's oddly frustrating for the drive to be right there and for windows to say "yeah, i know, i see it, it's working just fine" and for it to just not work with no possible explanation given. truly bizzare. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Edited by Pandy, 26 May 2009 - 09:58 AM.
Moved this topic from Windows 95/98/ME ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Gregol_X2

Gregol_X2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I did all the things you suggested Budapest; still doesn't work. Same symptoms; it thinks it's just a normal CD drive and I can't convince it otherwise. There must be some way to convince my computer that it is, in fact, a burner. Any more suggestions? I really need to burn something for school.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

You might want to try updating the firmware:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Pro.../DVR-111D?tab=F
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Gregol_X2

Gregol_X2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

I updated the firmware. Still doesn't work. It's not the burner; it works on a friends' computer. The problem is not when it goes to write to the disk (it never gets to that point). my PC just doesn't recognise it as a burner. For example if i write a writable CD folder, and drag a file into it, it immediately gives me an error: "an error occured when attempting to copy this file".

ugh. I really can't afford a reformat now. Any malware or viruses that could have caused this?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

Have you tried reinstalling Nero?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 the core

the core

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

thankssssss really helpfull

#8 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

was that genuine or sarcasm? I just did this one myself....it may actually be a windows thing....

MS KB has an article about verifying the registry key is correct for a buner drive (as opposed to being set at "Read-only"). You should be able to find that easily enough.

Because it sounds like the registry is correct try this: start > control panel > (classic view) Administrative tools > services > IMAPI CD-burning COM Service > right-click > Properties > Startup=Automatic; click START > click APPLY > click OK.

Start > my computer > right-click drive > Properties > RECORDING tab (if the tab is not present then the registry is incorrect, see MS KB) > check ENABLE RECORDING ON THIS DRIVE > click APPLY > click OK

now try it. I've had to redo this every time I get a windows update and it's really starting to bug me.

running XP Pro SP 3

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Also, you could try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Allow or Disable CD Burn Options - #23 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users