Recently I haven't made any changes to my computer as far as I can tell; but suddenly my DVD-RW drive seems not to work. I don't beleive it to be the actual hardware; it just seems windows gets confused somehow; here are the symptoms:
1. When the drive is empty; in explorer it shows up as "DVD-RW Drive" and upon clicking properties it tells me devicce type is DVD-CD ROM drives, the device is working properly, driver DVR-111D version 5.1.2535.0. I tried downloading a driver update but the installer fails giving an (Available Target is not Found) error message
2. It can read CD-ROM's and DVD-ROM's just fine; when i put in a CD, in explorer the drive label CHANGES to "CD drive" and when i put in a dvd, it changes to "DVD drive". It reads the discs just fine
3. When I put in a DVD-R, in explorer the drive label CHANGES to "CD drive". The explorer autoplay shows up and calls it a 'blank cd'. It offeres among other things to let me open a writable CD folder, launch nero startsmart, make a data disc using nero express, etc. These are options i should get if i was dealing with a CD-RW drive.
4. When I open a writable CD folder, it seems to work, but when i try to copy something, it just tells me that 'windows encountered a problem trying to copy this file' with no explanation.
5. when i try to use nero, it just thinks i want to make an ISO and won't give me the option to burn to disc, in burning ROM, if i click on disc info, it asks me to please select a recorder or CD/DVD-ROM drive. In the drop down menu, my D: drive (the DVD-RW drive) does not appear. Nero cannot find it.
Somehow this bothers me far more than you think it would. It's oddly frustrating for the drive to be right there and for windows to say "yeah, i know, i see it, it's working just fine" and for it to just not work with no possible explanation given. truly bizzare. Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by Pandy, 26 May 2009 - 09:58 AM.
Moved this topic from Windows 95/98/ME ~Pandy