Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start up, Cant use recovery console or reinstall because it asks for Admin password

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 booworthy

booworthy

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

For some reason my wireless internet connection deleted itself :s So i decided to do a system restore back to a previous point. This was successful and the wireless connection was setup again. However the same problem occured. when i attempted to do another system restore, the computer failed to boot. It turns on ok, but with a black screen showing a msg which says "initiating" some process, (sorry i forgot, ill post what it keeps saying when i get back home to the broken pc. :flowers:)

The real problem i have now is when i went to my boot options, to do somthing like a reinstall, it asked for my admin password. This is normally no problem, but for some reason its not accepting my password, saying its invalid! I'm not sure if some virus has somehow changed my Admin password, because i am positive i am typing in the correct password!

I am locked out of my pc, unable to do any reinstall or anything :trumpet: Is there anyway i can restore my pc without losing the data? Even if i end up having to take it to some kind of pc repair shop, that would be preferable as there are some invaluable photos, documents etc. However i am a bit reluctant to give it over to someone else to repair it as the pc also some of my bank account details on there.

Is there any solution? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:07 AM

Hi booworthy,

It's an interesting problem, so getting the full error message would be helpful.

Zllio

#3 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

ok will do, ill post it here tomorrow =)

#4 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi there Zllio! thx for helping me in this!

The msg is

Verifying DMI Pool Data...... and then it just freezes on that :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

Louis

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

Hi booworthy,

When you get to the point where you are asked for the administrative password, have you tried simply hitting the enter key without entering your password to see if that works?

As for the error message - that it stops there is an indication that the computer has gotten to a certain stage in the boot up process. I had something similar this week and was able to get beyond this. Since I kept trying things until one worked, I can't tell you exactly what I did right. One thing I did was go into the bios and set the options to fail-safe. I also tried a variety of cd's which included a straight boot cd (Barts PE), a partitioning cd (which couldn't find the partitions) and my xp cd. It was finally the xp cd / recovery console which enabled me to get the computer to identify the operating system and after that the computer was able to boot up again. Can you get it to boot up with any cd? Or do you always run into the problem with the password?

Zllio

#7 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi booworthy,

When you get to the point where you are asked for the administrative password, have you tried simply hitting the enter key without entering your password to see if that works?

I havent tried this, ill give it a go when i get home thanks!

As for the error message - that it stops there is an indication that the computer has gotten to a certain stage in the boot up process. I had something similar this week and was able to get beyond this. Since I kept trying things until one worked, I can't tell you exactly what I did right. One thing I did was go into the bios and set the options to fail-safe. I also tried a variety of cd's which included a straight boot cd (Barts PE), a partitioning cd (which couldn't find the partitions) and my xp cd. It was finally the xp cd / recovery console which enabled me to get the computer to identify the operating system and after that the computer was able to boot up again. Can you get it to boot up with any cd? Or do you always run into the problem with the password?

Zllio

unfortunately it seems to always pop up asking for that password :thumbsup:, even if i was trying to boot from a cd

Edited by booworthy, 08 June 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#8 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

ok i tried pressing enter but it still asks for a password :thumbsup:

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hi booworthy,
sorry for the problems. It's a pain.

Have you tried all the easy things first?

Make sure your internet is disconnected when you try to boot up.
Unplug and replug all the cables for your harddrive and on the back of your computer, including unplugging the power cable for a few minutes.
Try booting up without the cd or diskettes in the drives.
During boot up see if you can get into the boot menu which you may be able to get to by clicking on Escape.
If you get in there, click on it to boot up from the harddrive and try it without the cd.
If it gets stuck again, let it go to the point where you can click on Del (?) to get into the BIOS.
Use the arrow keys to go to the two password settings and see if they can be disabled.
If you can borrow one, try a straight boot cd rather than an installation cd.
Look at this microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...rt/nostart.mspx

Have you talked to either your ISP or the manufacturer of your wireless connection to ask for help? Since that's how it started, it seems like it could be a problem there, possibly a driver was put in that's causing the problem.

Zllio

#10 smoker

smoker

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

Odd thing is i'm having the same problem.. I have tryed everything to get this comp going.. I ran Avast! BART CD 2009 and a few others. I have tryed reformatting and even a new hd but nothing seems to work... Here is the link to my post about the same issue... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/230184/to-log-on-to-a-computer-as-the-administrator/

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

Hi smoker and booworthy,

I recently ran into a third thread recently of someone who couldn't boot up because of something that sounded like a device driver problem. That the admin password is getting into the picture does sound like there could be some malware problem involved. The link that hamluis posted to smoker in his thread which is the pcsupport.about.com link, has some thoughts on this problem. It would be a good idea to add some more people who might look at it from a malware point of view, so I recommend starting a thread in the AII (Am I Infected) forum for starters. Be sure to mention as closely as possible, what dates you lost access/ability to boot, what equipment might have been involved, any exact error messages, any options you have in the bootup sequence before you get to the password requirement, for instance whether you can get into the bios or not, whether or not you have checked all the obvious things like cables and unplugging various hardware. Additionally, please post in your thread the links to this thread and smoker, to yours as well, and see if someone looking at this from a malware point of view might be able to give you some additional input. If it's malware, it's something this site should either know about or learn about and either way, your posts about the problem are helpful.

Zllio

#12 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hi booworthy and smoker,

I would like to add this information which boopme mentioned that might give you more information about the password problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308402

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users