Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think i have a virus

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 floe1604

floe1604

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

For the past week or so my computer has been playing up.
Everytime i start it up and log on it refuses to work properly.
If i try to click on the start button an error box comes up saying explorer has performed an illegal operation and must close down.
Also sometimes this will happen if i try to open a program or something and it is happening every day over and over again

Also when i start AOL up i sign on and then after 5 mins or so it logs me off and says that the remote host has reset my connection.

I noticed a few weeks ago that in my emails next to where the date is it says !!!First Boot!!!
AOL told me this was a virus and on some boards people have said it isnt and others have said AOL is right for once.
AOL however did not tell me how to fix this..

If AOL crashes which it regulary does or the explorer message comes up when i press ctrl alt delete aol is not on the list......i cant get off aol and so have to restart the computer and go through the whole problem again

Is any of this related to a virus?

Please help me as i can not do my coursework or use the net properly and it is starting to annoy me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

Have you completed a thorough scan of you hard drive with your resident Anti-Virus? Have you scanned with any other applications?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

i dont have anything like that to scan the hd

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

i dont have anything like that to scan the hd

Try running these 2 online scans:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If you don't have an Antivirus program, you definitely need to get one.
Here's 2 good free ones (chose only 1):
Avast
AVG

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

a² free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a² fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:45 AM

ok i am getting slightly mad now!
i downloaded this "avast!" yesterday
and i dunno what it did...not much...but it said i had a horse trojan
well it said move it to chest and it wouldnt me so i permanently deleted it
but i did the scan again and it was still there
so i gave up on that avast and i went to aol and they told me to download this spyware thing so i did and ive blocked 3 programme things that its found
now ive been told to download stinger and its scanned loads and all the files are clean...
i am loosing it here...i dont know what to do and nobody can seem to help me =[

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

Did you download and run Spybot and Adaware?

Try going into safe mode and running the virus scan again. As your using a 9x system try downloading F-Prot for dos don't forget to download the latest virus defs and running it from either safe mode or via DOS (which is better).

If this still doesn't solve your problem submit a hijackthis log here.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Edited by stidyup, 29 June 2005 - 06:15 AM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

floe1604 - people are helping you. Getting rid of spyware, trojans and other junk from your system is not a "one click and its gone" process. You have to take a step, write down the results, post back here if you need confirmation, then take the next step.

You downloaded Avast and scanned your hard drive with it. Did you update the virus definitions before the scan? If you're not sure, go online and click the 'check for updates' button (or whatever Avast calls it). Then, as tg1911 suggested, download all of the anti-spyware programs a-squared, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard and, as he said, update them.
When everything is installed and updated reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
Safe Mode

Run the scans from all of these programs, and Avast, in Safe Mode. Let them fix any problems they find. If they notify you of a trojan or some other infection, make a note of it or print out the logs. When you post back tell us the main things which were found - "ive blocked 3 programme things" and "this spyware thing" does not tell anyone anything much.

Who told you to download Stinger? That's not in this thread. If your taking advice from multiple forums its no wonder you're confused.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

aol told me to download all that stuff and i dont know what its doing because it never last long enough to complete it all. i cant download any of that stuff i tried and i cant and i didnt mean you lot cant seem to help me i meant aol cause thats when all this started with aol

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

I think you might need a fresh clean install of windows (format hardrive) It will be the easiest and you know you will have it gone and what ever else you might have on there. It may take a hour to re-install windows unless you were smart (probably like me) and didn't back up the computer. A fresh clean install will be best. Can you get to another computer? If you can i would download "AdAware SE", "Spybot" and "SpywareGuard" when you have a new install of windows insll them on first. What version of windows are you runnng? You don't need to listen to me it's only a suggestion you can wait for other posts as i am not a expert but i did have a propblem once and i just did a fresh install as it's a matter of inserting the CD typing in the key ad a way it goes. Then you just need to install your programs, drivers etc. It can take a couple of hours but if you at leat back up your programs onto one disc then it won't take as long.

If you can backup and files like Word/Excel documents, Photos or whatever do so. But do a irus scan on them before you put them back on your new installed OS. If it detects then wipe the disc or throw it away.

#10 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

And dont forget to update them when your back on line. And do so regulary. (AdAware. SpyBot, SpywareGurad).

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

floe1604

i cant download any of that stuff

The AOL connection won't even stay active long enough to download AdAwareSE? That does make it difficult for you. I did not pick up it was that bad. (Although you said before you downloaded Avast which would be a lot bigger?)

Can you give us some details about your PC? Windows what? CPU, how much RAM, what size hard drive & how much free space left? What are the programs you use most often - you spoke of assignments, do you have Office, Word or something else? Do you have USB ports on the machine? Do you have access to another PC where you could download files?

Izzy may be right, you might be in a situation where it's easier for you to start afresh than to clean-up. But you must be sure you have all the CDs for installing the applications you need, drivers for all your hardware and copies of the account details for AOL, so you can set them up again. It's a lot of work if you do go that way.

My suggestion is you try again to install the programs we have been asking you to download, maybe by transferring them from another PC, and if that is not successful then, if you want, we can help you reload Windows.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#12 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:47 AM

Good luck on your decision, but do try getting those programs on your PC though, could save you a couple of hours. The guys here can help protect your PC by providing step by step instructions for you. Trust me it's worth it.

By the way, did you have any sort of virus protection program on your PC?

Yes, we need to know the version of windows, your ram, hardrive space etc as above.

#13 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:59 AM

ok its taken me an hour os so to actually get pc working so this is just a quick post

i dont have any programs such as word/edexcel

i didnt have any anti virus software (to my knowledge) and i unistalled avast because it was lagging the computer
i now have stinger installed and a trojan remover programmed both of which aol told me to download and a spyware programme aol told me to download.

im going to use everest to get you that information and ill post back when it lets me but i dont know when that will be

btw..i did try to reinstall windows......but i had the same problem again

also aol have given me steps to do to try and stop the disconnecting problem but none of them have worked it is still happening or i just get an arror messag saying aol has performed an illegal operation

be back soon

floe

#14 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:01 AM

rimmer the program i use the most is aol
i use word pad for school work
and mobile phone tools to upload photos from my phone via a usb
i also have a webcam which is usb connection but this has recently stopped working with all the other problems i have

#15 floe1604

floe1604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003, 2004 Lavalys, Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.51.195

Computer X4W9A1

Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A (Win98 SE)
Date 2005-06-30
Time 12:03

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.06.03.0518 (DirectX 6.1a)
Computer Name X4W9A1
User Name emma reed

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 566 MHz (8.5 x 67)
Motherboard Name ECS P6IWP-Fe (2 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, Modem)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
System Memory 61 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (06/08/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller
3D Accelerator Intel i752
Monitor IBM 6333 E51 [15" CRT] (66-04900)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Game Compatible Device
Audio Adapter Voice Modem Wave #00 Line

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Optical Drive LITEON CD-ROM LTN403S (40x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 9631 MB (8429 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. x
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Modem NetoDragon 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Lexmark Z600 Series
USB1 Controller Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - USB Controller
USB Device Labtec WebCam

Mod Edit: IP address removed.

Edited by tg1911, 30 June 2005 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users