Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Security Cocktail - Firewall + AntiVirus + AntiSpyware program combination you use!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 henceforth

henceforth

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

Friends

What is you favorite Security Cocktail? :trumpet:

What combination of Firewall + AntiVirus + AntiSpyware programs do you use?

Getting this combination right is a PERSONAL TASTE! :cool: Well almost!

Over the last few days I have been harangued by viruses and trojans and the Devil knows what? :huh:

I was using Zone Alarm Security Suite - that is Firewall AND AntiVirus AND AntiSpyware all built into one!

After the malware menace was cured :flowers: - thanks to a noble wizard on this forum [fenzodahl512 - God Bless him!]

I decided to switch to a new security cocktail!

I installed Avira Antivirus. That worked and updated fine!

After that, I installed PC Tools Firewall Plus, but could just not access the net nor would it update - update failed it screamed! :woot:
And it was too advanced to configure for a non techie like me I guess!

Result: I installed Zone Alarm all over again - simply because I can get it working easily! :inlove:

Guess it is difficult to switch to a new combination - the learning has to be quick and the curve is steep! :)

That is when I got curious about what combination others might be using!

It would be nice if you write in and also state what are the key features you like about YOUR security cocktail combination! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

If you reinstalled Z/A suite, then be certain you do NOT have two Anti-viruses applications providing real time protection; this can cause sluggishness in operating as well as serious conflicts.
One possible option would be to install only the Z/A firewall, Avira, and then two anti-spyware applications of your choice (for example, Superantispyware).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 henceforth

henceforth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

Thanks John!

Your profile states you use AVG and the Sygate PFW Free!

Would appreciate if you can share what you like about this combination!

Is Sygate PFW still available? Is there a good tutorial about it?

Thanks for writing in again! :thumbsup:

henceforth

#4 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

Zone Alarm Free, Avira AV, and Spyware Terminator.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#5 Infinite_Vision

Infinite_Vision

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hello, this is my first post and after browsing the forum, I decided to join in here. I think within everything, you have to be willing to learn and invest your time in learning how these things work so you don't make the same mistakes again. To start off, I am not a tech guy but I like to learn as much as I could so I tried various AV and firewall and went on various forums to get to know about the features on a particular product.

Anti-Virus - Eset NOD32: Very light on resources, on demand virus and spyware scanner (on demand scanner), updates frequently now especially with V.4, lots of setup features, VB 100%, and I enabled password on my setting. http://www.eset.com/company/awards.php

Firewall - Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2009: Lots of features to choose from, good experience with them, host protection, self protection, on demand spyware scanner (I turn this off cause NOD32 is running), update frequently, two layers protection, and my setting are password protected.

Antispyware - SUPERantispyware Pro : Update frequently, good performance, etc. I don't have this running in the background but I do a quick scan with it every two or three days.

Antimalware - Malwarebytes Pro : Good features and performances. I don't have it running in the background but I do a weekly scan with it.

Browser Blocker - Sandboxie Pro : Just to keep my system from getting infected. I can test various programs in the sandbox.

Program test:- http://www.virustotal.com/: I test anything here if I am not sure.

At the moment, I'm looking at Defensewall to see if it is a good investment. Oh, I have NoScript as an add on for firefox.

Edited by Infinite_Vision, 27 May 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

I used to use Windows Live OneCare, but since its been discontinued i am now using:

Avira
Windows Defender
Spybot Search & Destory
Spyware Blaster
Super Anti-spyware
Ad-Aware
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Zone Alarm

This is not really anti-virus or spyware, but i find it helps me keep my applications up to date:

Secuina PSI

If i ever get a tough infection, i take out the heavy Artillery:

HI-Jack This

I also run a program called File Shredder, and run the "Shred Free Disk space" once weekly. It overwrites and destroys virus and spyware that might be "hiding" in un-used areas of your hard drive.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 27 May 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Is Sygate PFW still available?

Sygate Personal Firewall is discontinued. However you can
still find it on some download sites. It is considered obsolete
and there is no support and no updates. It still remains my firewall
of choice and performs as good or better than a lot of the current offerings.

My combo: Linux, RootKit Hunter, BitDefender and Shorewall.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 ethelsfred

ethelsfred

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Well all of the changes additions I have made regarding this issue in the last two weeks have come from skulking around this site and help offered to remove a trojan. After Norton 2007 suite couldnt remove my trojan.brisv.A!nf (resolved in here) I now have ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Antispyware, (Superantispyware free and Malwarebytes Anti-malware free as stand alone), Zonealarm firewall free and Process Explorer. However, I am doing some more homework on the firewall and may change depending upon what I find.

Hey...looking back in this post I have a question for Infinite Vision....you also like ESET NOD 32....why did you choose a separate firewall instead of using ESET Smart Security 4?

Edited by ethelsfred, 28 May 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

Kasperski 2009
Super anti spyware free
Malwarebytes free
Securnia a fabulous program!
Actually three fire walls XP's built in, Kasperski and my routers firewall.

With cable many forget they have the extra firewall.

I ran Computer Associates AV for about 20 years but it is a super hog of resources, switching to KIS was like installing a super charger along with the blue bottle rapid is not the word!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

hi all..

i use ESS 4.0.314 and commonsense.exe.

and that's it!

all other programs up to date..esp. adobe and java.

#11 Infinite_Vision

Infinite_Vision

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Well all of the changes additions I have made regarding this issue in the last two weeks have come from skulking around this site and help offered to remove a trojan. After Norton 2007 suite couldnt remove my trojan.brisv.A!nf (resolved in here) I now have ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Antispyware, (Superantispyware free and Malwarebytes Anti-malware free as stand alone), Zonealarm firewall free and Process Explorer. However, I am doing some more homework on the firewall and may change depending upon what I find.

Hey...looking back in this post I have a question for Infinite Vision....you also like ESET NOD 32....why did you choose a separate firewall instead of using ESET Smart Security 4?

ESET have been known for their anti-virus but the security suite is a new thing for them. After reading some reviews, I am not completely sure they (ESET) are there yet on the security suite. If the security suite is working for you then you can leave it alone. Why am I using Outpost Pro? It is because I have had good experiences with Outpost, plethora of features, two-layer protection, IP blocker, etc. You can find some info on their site: http://www.agnitum.com/products/security-suite/index.php. Plus, the anti-virus alone is less bulky then the suite. I just find that NOD32 runs well with Outpost.

#12 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

"ESET have been known for their anti-virus but the security suite is a new thing for them. After reading some reviews, I am not completely sure they (ESET) are there yet on the security suite. If the security suite is working for you then you can leave it alone. Why am I using Outpost Pro? It is because I have had good experiences with Outpost, plethora of features, two-layer protection, IP blocker, etc. You can find some info on their site:"

very good indeed! excellent even. along with OA.

one stop app. means i'm lazy?

guilty! lol.

COU and donna's blog etc up to date every day before going anywhere else.

and commonsense.exe keeps me happy.

:thumbsup: on Outpost!

#13 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

My cocktail:

Antivirus: Avast! 4.8 Home Edition(Free) -Updates automatically, protects against viruses and some spyware, all while having a smooth interface and is easy to use

Firewall: Windows Firewall, I guess.

Antispyware: AdAware Anniversary Edition(Free) -Very thorough, Easy to use, and it protects against alot of spyware, and if you buy Plus, Pro, or Enterprise, you get alot more, including antivirus, schedules scans, and much more.

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

Avira AntiVir
Comodo Firewall
MBAM, SAS and Spybot for on demand

#15 K.O

K.O