Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question re dual booting XP and Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:09 AM

This morning I downloaded and burned the ISO of Win 7 vs 7100.0.09042.1700 and intend to dual boot with XP MCE.

The basic question is, where do I put W7? I imagine I will have to make a specific partition for it but don't seem to be able to do this in MMC.
I have removed partitions with DISKPART, but have not made a new one. Is this possible?

Not short of room, LOL, so where is the best place to install Win 7?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:59 AM

Looks like I can use DISKPART using either

create partition primary [size=n][noerr], or

create volume simple [size=n][noerr].

Which one?

(I was thinking of using the other internal drive F:)

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Have found that the easiest way to install Windows 7 is to make a new partition with the free Easus Partition Manager and then just go for it. I did it on a single blank drive on Thursday night but that wasn't entirely satisfactory, so hooked up all my other drives and reinstalled last night. No problem at all. Less than hour and was away looking for updates - new drivers for webcam and Wireless adapter were obtained and installed automatically. Have spent a few hours installing my favourite programmes and all is good, and have multiboot option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users