Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 RC shutting down at random

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

I have a HP Pavilion dv4-1120us laptop (64-bit) that until last week had been running Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7 RC, build 7100.

Hours after I started using it, it has suddenly started going into hibernate at random times, even while I'm typing on the screen. I tried leaving the computer on overnight, and it shut down at some time before morning. A few times it shut down while I was just logging in.

I disabled hibernation, but now it shuts down completely instead, losing any work I had open.

In both cases, the shutdown was sudden, as if I suddenly unplugged the cord and the battery. (Actually, it's been plugged in during all this.) The problem hasn't happened in Safe Mode yet.

Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

shawnvw - are there any error reports being generated by this happening?

If things persist, I might recommend doing a reinstall of Win7 to see if the problem occurs again.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

No, there was no error message.

Someone suggested I update the BIOS and install some other newer drivers, and so far the problem hasn't recurred. If it does I'll be back. Thanks!

Edited by shawnvw, 27 May 2009 - 12:12 PM.

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Sure thing.

Hope the BIOS fix worked out.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

shawnvw are you dual booting Vista and Win7 RC 7100?
If not, it isn't wise to 'up grade' to a Beta OS. A 'clean' install is the best way to go, *if* you have your original Vista DVD, to re-install that OS again.

Also, you will need to look at your power options and configure them for your laptop. Sounds like you may have it set to shut down or possibly sleep way before the time you want it to.

Edited by Jacee, 31 May 2009 - 08:02 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users