Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ssjin4gohan

ssjin4gohan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

My computer is an HP a1213w. The sound randomly stopped working while watching a YouTube video. The box claims there are no mixers available. I checked to see if my sound card is working properly; it is. I was told to make sure it was on automatic and push start, and I did all that even though it was already done. The speaker icon isn't on the toolbar. iTunes and MySpace music won't play. I have Windows XP. Sorry for any mistakes. THANKS! I have now realized how much I appreciate my hearing...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

You may have a corrupt driver.
Go to the Control Panel & double click the System icon
Click on the Hardware tab
Open the device manager
uninstall the sound device
restart the unit to let it reinstall
if that doesn't work download the driver from the manufacturers web site & install it.

sorry about the lack of caps, i'm holding a slice of pizza with my left hand. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 ssjin4gohan

ssjin4gohan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

You may have a corrupt driver.
Go to the Control Panel & double click the System icon
Click on the Hardware tab
Open the device manager
uninstall the sound device
restart the unit to let it reinstall
if that doesn't work download the driver from the manufacturers web site & install it.

sorry about the lack of caps, i'm holding a slice of pizza with my left hand. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply! But what exactly is my sound device? Sorry for lack of knowledge...
I gave up. A simple system restore did the trick. New question: Can too many system restores harm your machine?

Edited by ssjin4gohan, 26 May 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#4 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

System restores is relatively harmless. However, you may lose some important change you made to your computer between restore points. Nevertheless, it is a worthwhile exercise.

KO

Edited by K.O, 30 May 2009 - 03:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users