Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU and Motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hi,

When installing a CPU, does the FSB of the CPU have to be equivilant to the Motherboard FSB?
I need all the info I can get.

Any info is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

Most motherboards support more then 1 front side bus.
The CPU has to have a FSB that is supported by the motherboard.
If you have the model number of the motherboard & type it in google , then do a search, you should find the manufactrers web page for that model.
There is usually a list of supported CPU's provided.
Some will require a BIOS update to support certain CPU's , that should be indicated on the list.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 marshallfla

marshallfla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

I'm adding to this instead of posting a new question but...

I am trying to upgrade a laptop (yes, I know, not too bright but hey, it's only money!).

The system/mother board is fried and I have to replace it. IBM doesn't seem to like to post spec on its systemboards but the particular line of thinkpad took the old Pentium M Line (mines 2.0, max is 2.13 GHz). I looked up the specs of this processor and they are:

sSpec Number: SL869
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 15
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 2 GHz

Package Type: Micro-FCBGA
Manufacturing Technology: 90 nm
Core Stepping: C0
CPUID String: 06D8h
Thermal Design Power: 27W
Thermal Specification: 100C
VID Voltage Range: 1.052V-1.356V

I would like to upgrade the processor since I'm replacing the systemboard (I'm assuming I have to replace the exact board to fit in the laptop) and was wondering how many of these things are critical to getting it working. For instance, I can find better processors with the same Socket (478) and bus speed but perhaps different packaging (FCPGA as opposed to FCBGA). Also, does the Volatage Range ONLY apply to what the processor draws or what the motherboard delivers (and thus possibly frying whatever processor you put in there, LOL)?

Any help is appreciated!

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

"The processor is affixed to the motherboard by soldering the balls to the motherboard. This allows for a much thinner CPU/interface profile than a pin grid array socket arrangement, but the micro-FCBGA chip is not removable from the motherboard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-FCBGA

Attempting to upgrade a laptop motherboard/CPU is one of the least cost efficent upgrades there is.

Laptops are usually pretty limited as to what motherboard/CPU will fit in what case .
The cases may ook similar but be quite different.

If yout old laptop motherboard has failed the best route is to use a direct [same model] replacement with the fastest CPU it will run.
If it is a older laptop keep in mind that you would more then likely be getting a used replacement with no warranty that may not last a month.

If you really want a faster/better laptop your best bet would be to find a newer used one locally or simply buy a new one.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I feel it's the best advice that can be offered.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 marshallfla

marshallfla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

The only reason to upgrade this way was to a)save a few hundred (not much, in the computer world) and :huh: have some 'fun' while doing it so the news isn't all that upsetting.

Thanks for the helpful reply! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Okay, newbie alert! :huh: I looked up the wrong processor 'cause I was pretty sure when I took out the system board it looked like I was going to be able to remove the CPU (hence, the idea of upgrading).

New data is that this is micro-FCPGA (Socket M) and is a bit more promising. Any info on the other aspects of my question.

EDIT #2: This from Wiki on the next line up of Intel Core..."Yonah is supported by the 945GM, 945PM, 945GT, 965GM, 965PM, and 965GT system chipsets. Core Duo and Core Solo use Socket M, but due to pin arrangement and new chipset functions are not compatible with any previous Pentium M motherboard."

Not sure if this is really applicable to my board (but likely, it is) and not very promising, if so.

Thanks again.

Edited by marshallfla, 05 June 2009 - 11:00 AM.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

Here's the fly in your ointment.

A chipset can support every CPU made BUT if the motherboard BIOS doesn't support5 the CPU it still wopn't work.

Since you mentioned "fun" I assume this is mostly a "just to see if I can" kind of thing.

If you have the $ to play with do some research , figure out the newest [hence fastest] motherboard that will fit in the case, & go for it.

Go to google & type in IBM [model number] motherboard interchange & see what you can come up with.

Keep in mind if you upgrade the motherboard you may have to buy a new battery/power adapter to go with it.
That is something you would have to figure out by determining exactly what model the motherboard was actually built for & looking it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users