Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HijackThis - trouble saving log...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:05 AM

My first time using HiJackThis...I installed and scanned my computer...but when I saved the log to Desktop, I got a message saying "Windows Script Host: There is no script engine for file extension '.log'"

What should I do so I can view my log in Notepad and post my log on BC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

Try to copy and paste the log and save it as a .txt file. Windows doesn't have a native file association for a .log file, thus the error.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:34 AM

Okey dokey, thanks.

#4 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:22 AM

I tried saving my log to the Desktop, but .txt wasn't available, the only options were log files and all files...I got the same message when I tried to save to either of them.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 28 June 2005 - 07:30 AM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:30 AM

When you open HiJack This, Click on "Do a scan and save a log file". The log file should pop up along with the Save As box. Save as type - Text documents. Save as - HiJackthis.log. If you don't have the "Do a scan and save a log file" option you have an outdated HiJack This.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

I tried "Do a scan and save a log file", but as soon as the scan was finished, the same message appeared.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

This is not co-operating, eh?

Try Scan only when HJT opens and when its finished you will see "Save Log" in the bottom left. I just did that on a 98 machine and it worked.

#8 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

Hmmm. Nope, didn't work. I clicked on 'Do a system scan only', and the same message appeared...

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 28 June 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

I've been thinking about that problem and I didn't think that would work. Download and install Visual Basic 6.0 SP5: Run-Time Redistribution Pack (vbrun60sp5.exe). These files are needed to operate that program.

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:00 AM

OK, I installed the pack...but the log still isn't saving, same problem, same message.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:10 AM

Can you try to open HiJack This in Safe Mode to save the file? I think your spyware is interfering here. Failing that:

Try to download HiJack This from here. This is a zipped version so you need a program like WinZip to open it. When its open, click Extract to and type in C:\HiJack This. Navigate to that new folder and double click.

If that one wont open then try it from here.

If it still won't open and save a log, post back and I'll have a HiJack Team member check this thread and take over.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:12 AM

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

#13 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

When I clicked on the link to read the Safe Mode tutorial, I got an error message that said 'Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...Operation Aborted'...same problem I had last time I tried to read the tutorial.

I did get to scan my computer in Safe Mode...but no luck, I still cannot properly save my log.

"Try to download HiJack This from here. This is a zipped version so you need a program like WinZip to open it. When its open, click Extract to and type in C:\HiJack This."

The HJT I have on my machine now was downloaded from the link in the HJT tutorial. Is this the same one? I don't have WinZip...not that I know of, anyway.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 30 June 2005 - 01:56 PM.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

That probably is the same one. This malware is really tough to get around. Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and click ok. Look under the Startup tab and uncheck everything except System Tray, reboot, and try to do a log. I'll have someone take a look at this thread from the HiJack Team to see if they have any further ideas.

#15 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

Does 'Notepad' exist on your machine? Go to Start, Run, and type in notepad. Does notepad open?
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users