Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System appears to be in an endless search mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Indiana Jonas

Indiana Jonas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

HI

This morning I found my computer had not gone to sleep (monitor off). On clicking the "start" button I discovered the search function was continually searching with the pattern of..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It would not allow me to access any of the menu items except shut down which I tried but found it was taking too much time to begin closing down. I manually had to turn it off at the power point. On start up it asked whether I wanted to start normally or in safe mode. i selected normal. Again on start up the problem was still there. I again powered off the PC (NEC) at the GPO. On start up selected Safe start with DOS option but this time on start up when I went to the admin logon the computer put in a full line of asterix's automatically. I immediately powered off the PC and this time selected Normal for start up. When I tried to login as the Administrator it did not recognize my password. The computer had not been connected to the internet overnight or during this time but I suspect somehow it has been given a trojan or a virus possibly when connected to the Net. I have Zone Alarm enabled with it's virus protection (paid version) and update the virus dats regularly.
Has anyone expierenced this or know of a fix. I suspect I will need to do a disk wipe and clean install of Vista and personal programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

Try starting in normal mode and right-click on the Task Bar and open Task Manager
In the Applications window terminate any task that is running
Then click on the Start a new task button and type explorer.exe and OK
Do you have your Desktop now?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Indiana Jonas

Indiana Jonas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Booted up normally tried admin password a couple of times - it worked second time round. Checked using Adware found over 200 boogies - all seems ok now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users