Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Degrading router?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Has anyone ever run into a problem where their router begins to get worse after years of usage?

Because I got this one router about two years ago, and now we're running into problems with high amounts of lag, and interspersed connection hangs(every minute or so, it freezes for 3-5 seconds.)

I'm looking at a new router, because i'm pretty sure its not my ISP. The average ping varies from 1-16ms in cmdprompt through wireless. Usually it sticks to either 2ms or 16ms.

Its pretty much to the point where it's impossible to play online games.

Now, what i'm wondering is if you agree with me and think that my router is probably the problem, or that the ISP could be a factor.

I'm doing this from a recently installed version of Win7 Release candidate, so I don't think that is the problem.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi, what trouble shooting have you performed? There could be a lot of answers to this issue, who are you trying to ping? Ping google with the -t command to see how may packets are dropped over 5 minutes.
( ping google.com -t ) Have you updated the firmware on the router? Have you removed all phones from their sockets to see if the issue is resolved? Have you tried running a ethernet cable instead of wireless? Have you contacted your ISP to see if they can help?
The reason I say all of this is if you go out and purchase a new router and the issue continues, you would have wasted $$$

Edited by Monty007, 25 May 2009 - 06:38 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

It doesn't drop packets, or if it does, its really rare.

Ethernet cable does less than a second, but I haven't tried to see if that takes away lag in games, because the ethernet is hooked up to a computer that can't really do games.

I haven't tried phones... i'll see about them, but we've had the same ones for a long time and it hasn't interfered.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users