Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I7 cpu temps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KPryor

KPryor

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hi all,

I recently built a new I7 machine recently and feel like the cpu temps are a bit higher than they should be. I removed the heat sink / cpu fans, cleaned off the paste and reapplied everything, but still feel it's running too hot. Idle temps are running about 70-75C during the day and a bit cooler at night.

Part of the problem, I'm sure, is we haven't turned on our air conditioner yet, so I'm sure the hot days aren't helping any. When I run any fairly intense software like video editing stuff or Prime99, it jumps up to 100C pretty quick. I'd think with this heat sink/fan it should do better: Noctua NH-U12P

Any thoughts or are these temps closer to normal than I would think?

Full specs on the machine:
I7 920 cpu
6 gig DDR3
BFG Geforce GTX280
320 gig SATA HD
Intel DX58SO mobo
Cooler Master HAF 932 case
OCZ StealthXStream 700 watt PS

Thanks,
KP

Edited by KPryor, 25 May 2009 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KPryor

KPryor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I downloaded a different program called SpeedFan. It's showing me the same temps, sort of...

Perhaps I'm just stupid (ok, I am), but I don't really know whether I've got a problem or not now. SpeedFan shows the cpu temp as being in the 30's Celsius, but shows the temps of the individual cores as I described above, ranging between 70C and 100C depending on workload. Being only semi intelligent at times, I assumed the core temps reported by Real Temp were the same thing as the cpu temp, as Real Temp does not show a separate cpu temp figure.

However, now seeing such different values shown between the one cpu temp figure and the 4 core temps in SpeedFan, I apparently assumed incorrectly. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Should the core temps be significantly different from the reported CPU temp?
Thanks!
KP

I downloaded a different program called SpeedFan. It's showing me the same temps, sort of...

Perhaps I'm just stupid (ok, I am), but I don't really know whether I've got a problem or not now. SpeedFan shows the cpu temp as being in the 30's Celsius, but shows the temps of the individual cores as I described above, ranging between 70C and 100C depending on workload. Being only semi intelligent at times, I assumed the core temps reported by Real Temp were the same thing as the cpu temp, as Real Temp does not show a separate cpu temp figure.

However, now seeing such different values shown between the one cpu temp figure and the 4 core temps in SpeedFan, I apparently assumed incorrectly. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Should the core temps be significantly different from the reported CPU temp?
Thanks!
KP

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Intel claims 67.9C
You know you don't use a lot of thermal compound on a shielded CPU?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruc...l_quad_wcap.pdf
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 KPryor

KPryor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info, Mark. I've seen many different "correct" methods of applying cpu paste and have tried a couple. I'll give that a good read and then perhaps try what it suggests. Thanks again!
KP

#5 KPryor

KPryor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Overheat problem solved!!! Despite staring at installation instructions over & over, I had put the brackets on wrong, resulting in a very tiny gap between cpu and heatsink. Tech support sent me better diagram which more clearly displayed the correct assembly. Temps are running what they should be now. Thanks to all for advice.
KP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users