Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

troubles with memory diagnostics tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 timgkelly

timgkelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

hello folks!

I have been having an issue with my computer lately. I use my computer to DJ on the weekends, and a little while ago is started to crap out on me. The program i use is fairly heavy on resources and it has a CPU meter on the dispay. At certain times, the CPU meter would spike and cause the sound to degrade. I originally thought I had a virus. I use Trend Micro Internet Security as well as spybot, and neither of these programs found an issue after numorus scans and being updated. I decided to back everything up and use my recovery discs. I now have windows stripped down to just about nothing with no change how the program runs.

So i guess that narrows it down to a hardware issue. I tried the memory diagnostics tool, but it quit after about 2 minutes. I thought it was a RAM problem and i was planning on upgrading anyways, so i bought 2 sticks of 2 gig ram and tried it. The program now runs decent, but there will be times when it glitches. Memory diagnostics tool is still shutting my computer down after a couple of minutes. I updated my drivers as much as i could.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite A210
AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.9ghz
4 gigs RAM (brand new)
Windows Vista 32 bit service pack 1

the program in question is Traktor Scratch PRO, with an Audio8 sound card. It hooks up to USB 2.0
I Tested the soundcard on a friends computer who is also running traktor scratch pro and it works fine for him.

Thanks a lot lads and lass's!!

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Which memory tool are you referring to, Memtest86?
http://www.memtest.org/
If it runs for a couple of minutes, you have problems. Memtest should run overnight and will not stop until you tell it to
I wouldn't depend on just your AV and Spybot. You might want to double-check with Malwarebytes and superantispyware
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 timgkelly

timgkelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

nope, the memory diagnostics tool that windows vista has. I have maleware bytes and spybot...nothing on either of those. The computer runs great except for Traktor Scratch Pro. I just got memtest tonight, I let it run for a couple of hours, everything is ok there.

I did a search for a CPU diagnostics tool, i found a few, but i;m not too sure if i trust them. Can any of you recommend one?

perhaps i should just bite the bullet and take the friggin thing in to a professional...

cheers!!
Tim

#4 timgkelly

timgkelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

hey, sorry, I just want to give a bit of a bump.

cheers

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Could be an overheating issue, when was the last time you cleaned out the dust bunnies?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users