Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help A.S.A.P.......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bella Jean

Bella Jean

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hey guys I am purchasing a computer from Cyberpower PC...and yes I have heard all the horror stories...besides that this is my first computer I am putting together. I would really love it if you could take a look over my specs and let me know what you think. Is there anything I should do instead? Do the components all work together?....you get the point all the usual questions. I am going to purchase it by the end of the day I have been putting together computer after computer and I think I figured out what I wanted....even if it went way, way over budget...oh, well. I really do not want to spend any more money than I already am. The total cost is $1004.15 w/out the mail in rebates. My original budget was $600-800. Thank you so much for your advice and point of view. I really appreiciate it. I cant wait to hear back from you cause I really need your help. I dont want to get a dud....

The configuration number if you want to load it on Cyberpowerpc.com:

Here are the specs-

CASE: NZXT Zero 2 Crafted Series Steel Full Tower 420W Case (Black Color Trim)

Extra Case Fan: Default case fans --- Do I need extra of these?

POWER SUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready) --- Is this to low/ high of a PSU?

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

COOLING FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK --- I wont be doing any overclocking do I need an upgraded fan?

MOTHERBOARD: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) GigaByte MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 790X CrossFire Chipset with Quad PCIE slot SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394, & 7.1Audio ---- Is this a good motherboard for the CPU? Also is it a good one in genreal I have had MSI and it went out super fast and was a joke trying to deal with customer support

MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E 16X 512MB DDR5 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Data Hard Drive: NONE

HARD DRIVE COOLING FAN: None

Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network --- Is this okay or should I do something else?

MODEM: NONE

Extra Thermal Display: NONE

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE ---- Should I have one of these?

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

VIDEO CAMERA: NONE

IEEE CARD: NONE

USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

FLOPPY: NONE

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None

Please let me know what you think. I know I am full of questions, I just want to make sure I am doing this all right. Again thank you sooooo much for taking the time to read this and help me cause I really need some help. Thanks!

~Belle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

The system looks great and here are the answers to your questions:

You shouldn't need any extra case fans.

If you don't plan on using two or more graphics cards, you could go with a lower wattage power supply that's cheaper, but don't skimp on quality. That power supply is still a quality one, and it's not going to hurt anything if you do go with it.

The default heatsinkfan should be fine.

The motherboard looks great and Gigabyte is one of the top brands for motherboards.

The onboard network controller is fine, I wouldn't waste money on an upgrade because you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

The wireless cards are if you want to use wireless internet. If you get your internet through an ethernet cable, then you don't need one. You could always add one in the future if you do eventually need wireless internet.

You could probably save 100$+ if you built it yourself, plus you would have more options to choose from. We could help you with this too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Bella Jean

Bella Jean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I have had an MSI before and it fried so fast it wasn't funny and customer support was a complete joke to try and deal with. Also I have gone with a crappy PSU and it didn't as well as it should and was toast in a year...I figure I will try to go with the nicer stuff cause it cant hurt in the long run even if it is more expensive. I am still not cool enough for wireless internet, have ethernet cords running to the computer x-box and wii....maybe I should think about doing one...it is +19 for PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card or +29 for Zonet ZEW1642 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card...I have used cables for awhile too and they don't bother me that much....besides the mess under the computer, lol

#4 Bella Jean

Bella Jean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

The main reason I am not building it myself is time. I work 2 jobs and go to school, I will spend a little bit more to have someone else build it for me...otherwise it would be sitting in a pile for months and months just collecting dust...and then I really wouldn't be able to use it. Otherwise I totally would. I really enjoyed upgrading my current computer but that was back in a time when I had way to much free time...

#5 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

Bella, you actually made a pretty decent build. The main issue I saw is that you chose the 64 bit version of Vista. You may want to look at upgrading your RAM from 4 gigs to 6 or 8. I currently have the 64 bit OS on 3 gigs. And I actually saw a performance decrease from the 2 gigs with a 32 bit version of Vista, needless to say I have 8 gigs on the way :blink:.

Edited by stryke297, 26 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

You may want to consider a separate hard drive cooling fan for your 1 TB SATA. SATA drives tend to run pretty hot and it can never hurt to have a little more cooling.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users