Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Open Anti-Virus Programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gwebzor

Gwebzor

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hi there! All right, I was infected with one of those fake anti-virus programs that tell you you've got a million infections that don't exist. I ignored it, started up in safe-mode, and deleted what I could manually. Seemed to solve the problem. But now, my Malwarebytes program won't open (and it's such a godsend, thank you so much!) nor will my Spybot S&D (though the Teatimer was still working fine). I also can't get past the third step in a system restore; it just won't actually start the process.

I've made attempts to redownload and reinstall Malwarebytes, but the program would just freeze; it also wouldn't complete an uninstall command (which I attempted to see if it would help a reinstall).

Every time I start up, also, I get a Viewmgr.exe error; I'm not sure if this is related, and none of the sites that came up for a search have been able to help.

In any case, I'm not sure if this is in the right spot (sorry!) because I'm not sure if this is the work of malware, but I'd greatly appreciate any wisdom you have to offer!

Edited by Gwebzor, 25 May 2009 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

Hello,let's see if we can get a Malwarebytes log thru one of these.
Some types of malware will disable MBAM (MalwareBytes) and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first
Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.
Open up command prompt, type in following commands:
XP >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and select "Run". Type cmd into the Run box and click "OK".
Vista >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and Type cmd in the search box.

regsvr32 mbamext.dll
regsvr32 ssubtmr6.dll
regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx
regsvr32 zlib.dll

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Try this random renamer for MBAM
http://kixhelp.com/wr/files/mb/randmbam.exe
Try using a System Retore Point prior to the date of infection. You may be able to update and run MBam. Note this did not remove the malware.
Windows XP System Restore Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Gwebzor

Gwebzor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thank you so much for responding!

Okay well! I saved the setup to my desktop as "Mblah-setup" and I was able to reinstall (I renamed everything it gave me the option to as "Mbooger" because I am very classy). It still didn't allow me to run it--I'm a little confused as well. I tried running the cmd suggestions you provided, but it just told me the modules could not be found.

I'm a little unclear as to what to do with the .exe or .pif or other extensions and whatnot.

Where would the main executable file be? I'm sorry to be such a pain, I'm just not sure what to do!

#4 Gwebzor

Gwebzor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

Well! I tried it again, and sure enough, it worked! It found 20 malicious items, three of which disabled security programs. Here's the log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1945
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/31/2009 7:22:31 AM
mbam-log-2009-05-31 (07-22-31).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 188066
Time elapsed: 37 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 9

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WinPC Antivirus (Rogue.WinPCAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{bad4551d-9b24-42cb-9bcd-818ca2da7b63} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\UID (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load\scui.cpl (Hijack.SecurityCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load\wscui.cpl (Hijack.SecurityCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec (Spyware.StolenData) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\local.ds (Spyware.StolenData) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\user.ds (Spyware.StolenData) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\user.ds.lll (Spyware.StolenData) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Hillary\Application Data\winav.exe (Rogue.WinPCAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ieocx.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iehelper.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Hillary\Application Data\asd.bat (Rogue.WinPCDefender) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

ALSO!!!
The error message for "viewmgr.exe" that came up with every startup vanished. However, I just got one that said my computer couldn't find "C:\Program" which seems fairly important. But it's still running just fine (and a lot faster than it was!)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hi oK this is good.. We will fix that error in a bit. it's a broken malware file and we may get more.

Run ATF and SAS:
From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Rerun MBAM like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FUL scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Gwebzor

Gwebzor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Gosh thanks so much!!! I downloaded the programs you suggested. Except MBAM is refusing to run again, I'm not sure why. I reinstalled again under a different filename and it's still being frustrating. It's giving me error messages instead of opening.

Posted Image

Those two. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you're dealing with me though. Thank you so much! I'll keep trying!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

hello.. Did the SAS run?
Did you try this for MBAM... open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe to GWEBZY. Then double-click on it to run..

That error usually indicates the installation was either incomplete or may have been altered by some program. The recommended solution is to uninstall, reboot your computer and try to reinstall.

Edited by boopme, 08 June 2009 - 10:47 AM.

#8 Gwebzor

Gwebzor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

The SAS didn't run. Once I click the icon, it gives me a prompt about whether or not I'd like to run this program; I click "run" and then it pops up again with "SAS has encountered an error and needs to close". Should I uninstall and reinstall under a different filename?

I renamed the file you were talking about for MBAM (however it comes up in the program folder as just "mbam" not "mbam.exe") to "mbam.GWEBZY" but it's still not running. It's giving me an error message with the Error code: 715 (2,0)

In light of you mentioning the need to reinstall though, I think I'll do that. Should I reinstall in Safe Mode?

Thank you so much again!!!

Edited by Gwebzor, 14 June 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.
==============================
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users