Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solar power POE & P2P

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hello all,
Once again, I have a question, hopefully yall will be able to help me with... :thumbsup: I am going to install an wireless antenna on a 45 ft. pole because its the only way to get internet where i am, since there is a slight mountain in the way of the access point. So in other words I cant get a good signal... What im going to try to do instead of running an underground power cable 800 ft to the pole, im going to go with a Solar Panel and a car battery to power the POE "Power Over Ethernet" and the wireless Point to Point antenna that will be pointing to my house, which i will have a good line of sight.... All in all I shouldnt be going over 3 Amps. There is a website where a guy has done a similar project here: http://www.yourgreendream.com/yp_solar_wireless.php . I think it will work just fine. What do you think? Do yall know if there is any other website where I can get some more ideas? I get everything that I need except the part where he shows the schematic of the voltage regulator, can I just purchase this instead of making one? If so where? And have yall ever had any experience with this sort of thing? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

Can't really find one to suit your needs
You could get everything you need at Radio Shack, breadboard, hobby case and all
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

From what I gather you need a 120ohm resistor(3). A .1uf(4) and a 1uf capacitor (1), and a 5k potentiometer(2). Along with the LM338T.
Posted Image
How far do you need to send the signal. You may want to look into a Biquad dish antennae. One of these will also increase your reception dramatically.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the help! Yea im not that great with electronics as far a soldering and schematics and such, well ive never really done a project before like this.... The guy says that you could spend a little money to get one... But where? :thumbsup: lol What would I be searching for? 5 amp regulator? I mean the regulator is a part of the Schematic Right which is the LM338? I wish I could just pay someone to do this for me or buy one out right... :huh: Anyways what do yall think?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

Out of curiosity I searched for about an hour in both electronic and solar power categories without much luck
Another one to search through would be hobby electronics
Maybe there's an electronics club in your area where people could help you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

Get two of These and one of these. Clip the end off the cigarette lighter 3 way and connect to the car battery using universal battery clamps from any auto parts supplier make sure to get the polarity right (to make sure check the power ports the center pin should be positive and the metal surround should be negative). Set the one of the adapters from radio shack to 5 volts set the other to 9 volts and plug in your router and modem.

The other option would be to stick a biquad dish antennae at the top of said 40 ft pole and run coax into your house to your router. You should be able to pick up signals a few miles away. They sell them on Fleabay (ebay) for 25 bucks if you don't want to build one. Unless you transmit you shouldn't run into any FCC regulations. If you decide to bounce the signal off the antennae and send it to another one and boost the signal you will wan't to check into the power regulations for your area. Usually the FCC will only advise you that you are causing a nusance if you are interfearing with other signals. The first time they will tell you to turn down the power. The second time they will most likely fine you. The third time they will fine you, cofiscate/fry your equipment.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users