Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shell5

shell5

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

:thumbsup:
Is there a simple way to remove programs from Add/Remove page that have been deleted instead of correctly uninstalled. I have several that won't remove, some using space some showing no size.

shell5 :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rarehunter

Rarehunter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:43 AM

Hi Buddy
What's the error that appears when you try to uninstall those programs, maybe there are some missing files on the program folder. Try installing the game again, then uninstall it again.
Or try to uninstall the games in safe mode.
To boot in safe mode tap F8 before the logon screen appears on reboot.
Rarehunter

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:08 AM

navigate here in your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be at least two values 'DisplayName' and 'UninstallString'. 'DisplayName' is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list and 'UninstallString' is the program used to uninstall the application.

To remove a program from the list you can simply highlight and delete the sub-key representing that program.

#4 shell5

shell5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:06 AM

In reply to previous 2 posts on my topic, I don't have the games anymore to install again and propertly uninstall.
And as for navigating to the registry, without sounding liking a complete computer idiot, how exactly would I go about doing that
:flowers:

#5 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:51 AM

I have had similar problems.
There is a very useful tutorial on your subject,just open Tutorials and scroll through you will find it easily.
BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND DO THE NECESSARY BACKUP.
Regards.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:07 AM

I like to use Add-Remove Pro in those situations. If it can't find the uninstaller it can remove those entries from Add/Remove Programs.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 shell5

shell5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, I tried the Add-Remove Pro and it worked perfectly,

:flowers:
I just love this site more and more everyday, thanks again have a great day

shell5 :trumpet:

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:56 AM

Glad we were able to help shell5. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

You have a great day too. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users