Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gussy

gussy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

2 or 3 times over the last 3 weeks a message has appeard on starting up. It says the graphics card is not getting enough power and will stop some (graphics operations so as to reduce the load (sorry, I can't recall the exact wording of the message). Anyway, nothing seems to actually happen and the card appears to be working as normal. Last week after getting the message a second time, I opened up the case and gave the fans a really good dusting - not that I thought that woulod make a difference to the power supply - then the message appeared again today. Any suggestions as to what, if any, the problem may be, would be appreciated.

The card is a Leatek Nvidia GeForce FX900XT 128 mb which I installed myself last year as an upgrade.

My system is AMD 2.8+ (1.2GHz)CPU, 512MB, 80 GB HD, Windows XP Home with SP2.

Thanks.
Gussy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

Are we talking about a Leadtek 5900XT?

I would remove and reinstall the drivers first. If you still get the error message your power supply may be failing. Look at the back of the power supply and let us know how many watts it is. Does this card have a seperate power connection?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 gussy

gussy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

Hi Leurgy

The power supply is 250w. The graphics card is a Leadtek 5900XT and doesn't have a separate power supply. btw I bought the computer April 2003.

I have been thinking about getting a new psu, but am not keen about installing it myself, therefore I have to wait until I can afford to get it done at a repair shop.

Thanks
Gussy

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:46 PM

I'd get a bigger Power Supply.... They're not too hard to install, IMO if you can install a video card, you can install a PSU

You can follow the instructions here: http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

Or here:
http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.co...wer-supply.html

There's a lot of places you can google for step by step instructions.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 gussy

gussy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

Thanks efizzer, I'll probably do that. I'm checking out those "how to" sites you've recommended now.
g

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:12 AM

I agree with efizzer. That PSU is definitely too small. Based on the watts its fairly old too. Swapping out the power supply is not that difficult although if you want to pay someone to do it, it won't be expensive either.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users