Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply I think

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Artnlp

Artnlp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop and I could be on it for a couple of minutes and then it shuts off. It will try to reboot and after several attempts it will start up again. I thought that it was a spyware issue but that has all been cleaned out at this point but I am having the same issue. I don't hear a fan spinning so I am not sure if that could be part of the problem. I can plug in the computer and it will start without me pressing the power button. I am looking for help to diagnose this problem. If it is the power supply is their a test I can do to check it or if it is a mother board problem is there a test I can do that issue.

Thanks for any help,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

It does sound like 1 of 2 problems.
Either the CPU overheating from fan failure or a dirt/clogged heatsink or a bad power supply.
From the " it will start without me pressing the power button." I would suspect the power supply.

Dell power supplies are proprietary so you would need another Dell power supply or one that specifically states "Dell compatible" .
[A "standard ATX power supply won't work]

It will be suggested that you can jump 2 wires on the motherboard connector & test the power supply with a multimeter.
That is a very poor test as all it's going to tell you is.
1. it comes on
2. what the power is at a idle.

In order to be tested properly a power supply needs to be tested under a load,
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for getting back too me so soon. I will try to vacum the computer out and see what happens. I will also look to get another power supply. I have an older dell here but I am not sure if it will fit though.

#4 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Hello,

I changed my power supply for my Dell Dimension E510 as instructed and the computer stayed on for a while but it shut off again on it's own. Does this mean that the mother board is done now?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

Did you heed,

"Dell power supplies are proprietary so you would need another Dell power supply or one that specifically states "Dell compatible" .
[A "standard ATX power supply won't work]"
?

A standard power supply will plug in BUT a couple of wires on the main [big] motherboard connector are different.

If you used a standard ATX PSU & now the unit has turned off & won't come on I would say the motherboard is probably damaged.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't buy a Dell Power Supply but I did buy a compatible power supply. This is what I got:

600W Power Supply 4 Dell Dimension 3100, 5100, E310, E510

Description :

Give your computer 650-watts of power!

This Power King ATX Power Supply features a 20+4-pin ATX power connector, one 6-pin PCI Express power connector, two Serial ATA (SATA) connectors, six large power connectors and one floppy connector! Equipped with a large 5.51-inch/14cm fan, this Power King Power Supply will help keep the interior cool for maximum performance!

Features/Specifications:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power King 650W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply

General Features:
650-watts total power
14 cm/5.51-inches fan
One (1) 12-inch 20+4-pin ATX power connector
One (1) 12-inch 4-pin 12V power connector
One (1) 6-pin PCI Express power connector
Six (6) large Molex 4-pin power connectors
One (1) small floppy power connector
Two (2) SATA power connectors
Complies with ATX 12V 2.0 connector
Short circuit and over voltage protection

Power Specifications:
115V, 230V switchable power supply
50/60 Hz
+3.3V, 28A
+5V, 48A
+12V, 30A
-12V, 0.5A
-5V, 0.5A
+5Vsb, 2.5A

Unit Dimensions:
3.5 x 6 x 6.25-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

Package Includes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power King 650W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply
Power cord

Additional Information:

Notes:
Model: PSPK650
UPC: 6 41272 69819 1

Product Requirements:
ATX case
ATX motherboard
Available power outlet

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Well, It sounds like you have a good PSU & a bad motherboard. :thumbsup:

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Seriously, it's been close to 7 years since Dell used a proprietary ATX connector. It went out in the PIII days.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

I would much rather suggest making sure a person got a PSU that is compatiblr with their branded unit then just say "get one" .

I recently went throgh this with somebody else & I'm not going to chase down all the info again.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#10 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

Any ideas on where to get a good mother board? I do notice that every time my computer boots up the Windows Bios screen comes up then it loads the desk top. Also I looked around and the #3 light on the front of the tower is lit. I looked it up on Dell's site and it said contact Dell? Could that be because the mother board is bad?

Thanks for your time.

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

"I do notice that every time my computer boots up the Windows Bios screen comes up then it loads the desk top. "

It's a long shot but you could try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

As for a motherboard, Being a older unit you would probably have to buy one off of a site like ebay , which can be a little tricky.

#12 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

I will try to replace the battery and if that doesn't work I might just have to buy a new computer. Hopefully it can be revived.

#13 Artnlp

Artnlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Fairjoeblue,

This is a last attempt to try and resolve this issue. I don't think anything is wrong with the motherboard. I was on a Dell website and it said that this can occur if I installed some software or hardware recently. I did install 2 sticks of 1 gig memory and kept the original 512mb memory sticks in. I check the error log report and it kept listing Memory changed and keyboard error. I removed the two 1 gig sticks but it still shut off. Could this be the cause of my problems?

Thanks for any info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users