Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update redirect to Google.com

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 david133

david133

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hello

This is my first post.

My computer issue is that I am not able to update my Windows and Anti-virus definition.

Every time I type "update.microsoft.com", I will be redirected to "www.google.com".

I am also not able to update my Anti-virus definition file automatically. I have to download the definition file manually and apply it.

I have enclosed the output file from "Hijackthis".

Thank you

David

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi david133,

Welcome to BC HijackThis forum and sorry for the delay. I am farbar. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might prolong handling your log and make the job for both of us more difficult.
  • Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Information on A/V control HERE)
    • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
    • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
    • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
    **Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

• After running ComboFix please go to start -> Run.
    • Copy and paste the bold line in the run-box and click OK: "C:\Qoobox\Add-Remove Programs.txt"
    • A text file opens up, copy and paste the content to your reply.

#3 david133

david133
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hello farbar

Thank you for your assisitance.

I have downloaded "ComboFix.exe" and I will install into my desktop when I get home from work tonight.

Will post the log to you tonight.

Thank you

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:49 AM

Hi David,

Take your time and post the log when ready.

#5 david133

david133
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

Hello farbar

Thank you for your help.

I think I may have resolve my issue.

Looking through this forum, I found someone had the exact problem I had - the resolution was to change the network DNS.

I found that I had a static DNS address. After changing the DNS option to getting a DNS address automatically, I was able to perform Windows Update and my Anitvirus was also able to download the virus definition file.

Thank you.

Case closed.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

You are welcome and thanks for letting me know.

I saw the DNS on the log too. That static DNS is a part of DNS-changer trojan and goes to Ukraine. When changing it to dynamic you may resolve the problem temporarily. It might come back after reboot if the trojan file is still there. But if it is removed, changing the setting might persists.

As you decided this thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM and I will reopen it for you.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users